IT Support Specialist
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 520527
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Architecture & Urban Studies
Department: Architecture Support
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
To serve as senior IT support specialist for the College of Architecture and Urban Studies’ users. Install, configure, update, and maintain macOS and Windows computers. Collaborate with the CAUS (College of Architecture and Urban Studies) IT team to answer service calls in 4Help. Provide polite and professional customer service to users. Support software installation and peripherals such as scanners and printers. Respond to user needs via phone calls, tickets, and emails. The IT support specialist reports to the CAUS Director of IT and will emphasize on-site work with some remote possibilities.
We welcome applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and disciplinary training. We strongly encourage applications from individuals who do not see themselves historically represented in IT or academia. We seek candidates who are interested in engaging students and colleagues in actively building diversity, equity, and inclusion into all facets of our work.
• Experience working in a customer service environment and managing requests of clients of various severity. Able to manage multiple issues and triage based on level of urgency.
• Willingness and eagerness to learn and adapt to the changing IT support landscape
• Able to communicate complex information to colleagues and users of varying technical competency, while being professional and empathetic.
• Some junior-level experience providing technical support and setup for various devices (desktops, laptops, printers, etc.)
• Post secondary education or equivalent training and/or other related experience.
• Experience using Service Now, or some other help desk ticketing system.
• Experience with installing and administering Windows Server in an Active Directory based environment.
• Experience with network printing – setup, deployment, and support.
• Experience with managing projects for system upgrades, new system implementation, lifecycle management or related IT projects.
• Experience maintaining Active Directory (OUs, users, groups, etc.)
• Experience in applying desktop or server security best practices.
• Experience with web app development
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three professional references with their preferred contact information.
Commensurate with experience; Salary range begins at $45,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Roslyn Garrison at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend