VTCSOM Library Specialist
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 520593
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Dean of Libraries
Location: Roanoke Campus
Categories: Library, Other
The VTCSOM Library Specialist supports the daily operations of the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (VTCSOM) Library with occasional backup duties to support the FBRI HS&T Library. Staffs the VTCSOM Library Service Desk; provides direction, technical, and library resource use assistance; circulates library materials; processes and facilitates requests for purchasing materials or interlibrary loan; organizes and maintains physical collection materials, including updating item records; creates and updates library guides under the direction of the VTCSOM librarian; develops and markets workshops (training), programming, and displays, in collaboration with the VTCSOM librarian and other colleagues; provides general library support; and maintains administrative records, such as library expenditures.
- Demonstrated customer service experience
- Experience using office applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook (or equivalent applications like Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Mail)
- Experience troubleshooting basic technology issues (such as WiFi connectivity, printers / copiers)
- Experience prioritizing and organizing work tasks, with attention to detail
- Experience communicating and interacting in a welcoming and professional manner demonstrating respect, kindness, and empathy with customers / patrons and colleagues
- Excellent communication skills as demonstrated in job application materials and interviews
- Bachelor’s degree or college level coursework
- Experience working in a library, bookstore, AND/OR in a healthcare setting
- Experience organizing, maintaining, circulating, and searching for library materials, including use of an integrated library system (ILS) and item record updates
- Experience organizing, maintaining, and updating documents, such as spreadsheets, data, contact lists, educational materials, etc.
- Experience developing and marketing programming and/or displays
- Experience planning and/or leading workshops or training
- Experience using social media or other online platforms or websites for outreach and marketing
Note: The preferred qualifications are not required. We are committed to helping the incumbent develop their skills. We encourage applicants who are passionate about supporting students, staff, faculty, and the public in a health sciences library setting to apply.
Regular appointment, University staff, full-time position
$33,000-$35,000 dependent on education and qualifications
Work schedule of: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm or as needed (occasional telework days may be possible for the right candidate and work coverage)
Additional work conditions:
- The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
- Ability to independently, frequently and safely move and handle library material weighing up to 30 pounds and to perform frequent manual circulation of these materials.
- The University Libraries at Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. We are committed to mentoring and establishing safe spaces, both physical and virtual, where employees from current and historically minoritized groups can thrive.
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, the University Libraries commits to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Cathy Pillow at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend