Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 521134
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Facilities Operations
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades, Other
Reporting to the Roofing Supervisor, the Roofer/Trades Mechanic will perform tasks in the installation and maintenance of commercial roofing systems such as Standing Seam and other types of metal roofing, Slate, EPDM, TPO, PVC and composite shingles, architect and three tabs on the VT campus. Additionally assists in the Building Trades Shop with carpentry, masonry and paint projects as assigned.
• Verifiable journeylevel experience in commercial roofing.
• Experience installing and maintaining EPDM, PVC, metal, built-up and ballasted roof systems. | Valid driver's license with good driving record.
• Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds; maneuver materials up and down stairs; climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; and work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling.
• Ability to communicate effectively; have good team work skills; and be able to understand, comprehend and follow directions in the workplace.
• Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
• May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
• This is a designated emergency personnel position.
• Experience operating all types of aerial lifts.
• Experience in a large commercial or educational setting.
• Good working knowledge of painting, carpentry and masonry.
• Experience with TPO roofing systems.
• Experience operating and working from all types of aerial lifts at heights of up to 80 plus feet
8/31/2022. Posting will remain active until filled.
Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more; climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; and work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling.
Ability to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
Must have an acceptable and safe driving record
Emergency Personnel health &; safety related
This position is designated as 'Emergency Personnel'.
May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
Normal work schedule is M F 8:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend