Asbestos Abatement Assistant
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 522494
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Facilities Operations
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades, Other
Reporting to the Building Trades Supervisor, the Asbestos Abatement Assistant assists with small Operation and Maintenance (O&M) related asbestos abatement such as floor tile and window glazing removal and replacement, and glove bag work. Position will also assist Moving and Hauling with various equipment and furniture moving projects when not performing abatement work.
• General construction experience.
• Must have a valid driver's license.
• Must be able to obtain a 40 Hour Asbestos Abatement Supervisor Certificate within 90 days of employment.
• Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including protective suit, goggles, gloves and respirator. Preemployment physical and respirator fit test required.
• Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more; maneuver materials up and down stairs; climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; and work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling.
• Ability to communicate effectively, have good team work skills, and be able to understand, comprehend and follow directions in the workplace.
• Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
• May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
• Experience in a large commercial or educational setting.
• Experience with a Commercial Moving Company
• Experience installing vinyl floor tile.
• Experience in performing work in small/confined spaces
Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including protective suit, goggles, gloves and respirator. Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more; maneuver materials up and down stairs; climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; and work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling. Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures. Must have an acceptable and safe driving record. Emergency Personnel health &; safety related. Preemployment physical and respirator fit test required. Subject to annual medical surveillance. This is an Alternate Schedule position, scheduled work will typically be performed during normal day shift hours, but may occasionally be scheduled on second shift (nights), and some weekends. Normal work hours would be 8 am to 4:30 pm. Overtime for this position normally limited to University events and Emergency Situations. May require work to be performed in small/confined spaces. This is a designated emergency personnel position.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend