Clinical/ Tenure-Track Assistant Professor
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 524989
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Veterinary Medicine
Department: Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Research / Scientific, Veterinary Medicine
The Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences of the Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine invites applications to become a part of our team in internal medicine. Our departmental faculty include specialists in surgery, internal medicine, emergency, cardiology, neurology, dermatology, ophthalmology, oncology, diagnostic imaging, anesthesia, and primary care.
The fulltime clinical/tenure track assistant professor will be responsible for providing service and instruction within the veterinary teaching hospital. The successful candidate will provide and supervise clinical care delivered by students, interns, and residents assigned to the internal medicine service as well as consultation to clients and referring veterinarians. Support of our after-hours emergency service will be shared with other internists. The successful applicant is also expected to participate in didactic and laboratory instruction of veterinary students within a dynamic and interactive new curriculum. Duties will include participation in all aspects of training interns, residents, and graduate students. Research responsibilities will vary based on the interest and qualification of the candidate but may include collaborative or translational research. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within ongoing research programs and contribute to the scholarly achievements of the research team.
• Generous retirement contributions by the institution
• Student loans payment support
• Paid moving expenses
• Negotiable percentage of time allocated for clinical service, teaching, and research
• Salary will be competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
• 24 days per year of leave and carry over of up to 288 hours per year.
• Twenty-six weeks (1,040 hours) of personal sick leave upon hire. Ten days can be used for family sick.
• Paid parental leave (320 hours) used for birth, adoption, foster or custodial placement of a child and is available up to 6 months from date of event. Can be used in addition to other leave. Must have been employed for 12 consecutive months.
• Thousands of Hokie discounts managed by PerkSpot
• More details found at https://www.hr.vt.edu/benefits.html
● DVM or equivalent foreign degree by the date of hire.
● Completion of an approved American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine ACVIM and/or the European College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ECVIM-CA), by the date of hire.
● Excellent communication skills and interpersonal interactions.
● Must be eligible for a Virginia faculty veterinary license by the date of hire.
● Occasional travel to attend professional conferences and meetings
● Advanced Degree (MS, PhD)
● Board Certified Veterinary Internist
● Clinical Experience in small animal internal medicine
● Experience in teaching
● Leadership record
● Previous scholarly activity
● Commitment to diversity and inclusion
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Demetria Harris at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend