Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 525296
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Location: Arlington, Virginia, Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Program/Project Management
As part of the Virginia Tech National Security Institute Program Management team (PMO), the Project Manager works in coordination with Principal Investigators (PI) and Director of PMO. Reports to a Program Manager or Sr. Program Manager. This position can be located at either our Blacksburg, VA campus or Arlington, VA offices.
In coordination with the Director of PMO, the PM will have delegated responsibility for the day to day programmatic administrative, budgetary, compliance and contractual aspects of sponsored research programs in support of principal investigators who are responsible for both the development and execution of research programs. Oversees singular or multiple projects from simple to intermediate complexity with multiple year engagements.
Based on the foundation of the Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology, Virginia Tech launched the Virginia Tech National Security Institute in September 2021. With a presence in Blacksburg and the Washington, D.C., metro area, the institute aspires to be the nation's preeminent academic organization at the nexus of interdisciplinary research, technology, policy, and talent development, the national security institute will advance national security in pursuit of a secure America.
• Work with research staff to clearly identify and document project requirements, develop work breakdown structures and realistic schedules, manage resources, and document risk
• Ensure principal investigators and lab directors are aware of project status and issues
• Manage program personnel loading, program risk tracking, and program expenditures such as purchasing and travel
• Coordinate meeting schedule and ensure appropriate materials are available in advance to participants
• Prepare initial drafts of sponsor reporting requirements
• Maintain awareness of upcoming business opportunities with assigned sponsors;
• Coordinate with research team and PI to develop project proposals including development of schedules, resources/spend plans, and budgets. Obtains PI’s approval of recommendations
• Track security requirements for projects subject to export controls and work with the Office of Export Control and Secure Research Compliance to ensure project participants adhere to protocols outlined in each project’s Technology Control Plan
• An earned Master's degree in Business Administration, Project Management or related technical field with program management experience. Alternatively, an exception may be made for an earned bachelor's degree in a related technical or professional field with significant professional relevant experience.
• Excellent communication skills, with demonstrated experience developing and delivering formal and informal presentations, written proposals, and reports.
• Demonstrated proficiency with budgetary tasks including planning, expenditures, reconciliation and reporting.
• Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills and the ability to work in teams with professionals from other disciplines.
• Demonstrated ability to take on broad tasks, independently identify the steps necessary to execute them, ensure their proper execution, and succinctly convey their results.
• Given the nature of work conducted by VTNSI and requirements from federal sponsors, candidates must be U.S. Citizens.
• Experience in project management, contracting, financial management, and research proposal development.
• Experience managing federally funded research programs.
• Experience working in academic research environment, including with students.
• Formal training and certification in project management such as CAPM or PMP.
Starting at $65,000; commensurate with experience
This recruitment is to fill three positions that will be anchored at the Virginia Tech National Security Institute on either the Blacksburg or Arlington, VA campuses. Given the appointment at the VTNSI, successful candidates must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government security clearance. The review of applications will begin on April 24, 2023 and will continue until the positions are filled.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sue Kass at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend