Software Engineer, Spectrum Dominance
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 526639
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Engineering, Information Systems / Technology
The Virginia Tech National Security Institute’s (VTNSI) Spectrum Dominance Division (SDD) is looking for entry-level/junior-level software engineers to join our team at the forefront of research and development in wireless spectrum solutions.
With a presence in both Blacksburg and Washington D.C. metro areas, VTNSI serves dual missions of (1) performing cutting edge research and development for externally sponsored Department of Defense and Intelligence Community programs and (2) cultivating the next generation of national security workforce and thought leaders by engaging students in curricular, extracurricular, and research and development opportunities. As one of the fastest growing thematic research institutes at Virginia Tech, sponsors and collaborators benefit from VTNSI through both highly experienced student talent pipelines and senior technical leadership that addresses some of our nation’s greatest national security challenges and threats.
VTNSI’s SDD is a leader in research and development of national security technologies and solutions for maintaining radio frequency spectrum superiority. Key areas of focus include resilience of commercial wireless infrastructures and technologies (5G and beyond), development of signal processing algorithms for spectrum awareness (signal detection, estimation, classification, etc.), next generation radio hardware and front-ends (antenna design, multiple aperture arrays, etc.), and the general application of state-of-the-art AI/ML within the radio frequency spectrum space.
To help achieve the overarching aspirations of VTNSI, and the specific technical goals of the SDD, we are looking for applicants with expertise in software development and an interest in working on team-based development projects. An interest in development towards radio frequency applications is required while prior knowledge in the area is not. This position will work in support of the division's research efforts. The career path for this position could lead into a research oriented or technical oriented position and still support the research function.
General activities of this position will consist of:
• Software development tasks across 2-3 programs primarily in the area of wireless spectrum communications
• Learn about the underlying technical concepts of assigned programs (through both independent learning as well as through program mentors)
• Participation in weekly program meetings and periodic sponsor meetings (requiring oral and/or written updates)
• Thorough test, evaluation, and documentation of developed software
• (As desired) Opportunities to participate in research paper writing and business development proposal writing
- An earned Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related engineering discipline to the position summary
- Proficiency in software development and familiarity with best coding practices
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a member of a development team in executing sponsored projects
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to document and define test cases for developed software
- Given the nature of the research and requirements from federal sponsors, the candidate must be a US citizen.
One or more of the following:
- Previous professional work experience in software development
- Strong written and/or verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in one or more of the following programming languages: C, C++, Python
- Proficiency in Linux/Docker
- Familiarity with version control tools (e.g., GIT)
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration/Continuous Development (CI/CD) processes for code test and evaluation
- Familiarity with GPU-based code development (e.g., CUDA, TensorFlow, etc.)
- Familiarity with AI/ML development toolkits such as PyTorch, Keras, etc.
$70,000 - 90,000 depending upon experience
Due to the requirement of the funding agency, the successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sue Kass at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend