Postdoctoral Associate (Pickrell Lab)
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 526843
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Science
Department: School of Neuroscience
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Research / Scientific
The Pickrell lab at Virginia Tech is recruiting a highly motivated, talented Postdoctoral Associate to study mechanisms of intracellular organelle communication. Our group found that kinase signaling between two organelles (mitochondria and centrosomes) causes cells to either switch between cleaning up damaged mitochondria (mitophagy) or cell division (Sarraf, Sideris et al. Cell Reports 2019). The successful candidate will work on a project focused on understanding the mechanistic underpinnings of this phenomenon. What are the mechanisms of TBK1 translocation (a protein involved in mitophagy, cell cycle, and inflammation)? How does this influence which process the cell “decides” to do? Does mitophagy control mitochondrial inheritance in neural stem cells? We are seeking someone with exceptional expertise in cell and molecular biology to join our team.
- Ph.D. in cell biology and anatomy, biochemistry, neuroscience, biomedical sciences, or related fields. Ph.D. must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year of eligibility remaining.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, and team skills.
- Data analysis and manuscript preparation will be conducted.
- The candidate will be expected to attend lab meetings, assist in training undergraduate and graduate students, maintain laboratory spaces in a clean and good working order and maintain a high level of organization in data collection and storage.
- Cell and tissue culture experience;
- Cell and molecular biology, qPCR and western blot analysis experience;
- Confocal and live Imaging experience;
- Cloning and CRISPR gene editing experience;
- Mouse handling, genetics, and histology experience.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Jonathan Hedrick at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend