When was the last time you changed the world?
In Virginia Tech’s Division of Student Affairs, that’s what we’re doing every day—guiding, nurturing, and supporting students as they learn and grow into the leaders and world-changers of today and tomorrow.
We’re searching for a Facility Manager to join the Recreational Sports team in Blacksburg, VA to help us in our mission. The position plays a crucial role in ensuring the facility’s efficient and safe functioning, creating a positive environment for all Virginia Tech patrons, and contributing to the overall success of the department. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in facility management, excellent organizational skills, and a passion for delivering exceptional recreational experiences. So, if you’re passionate about providing outstanding experiences for our 30,000+ students, please keep reading.
Here’s what you need to know about the role:
1) You’ll join the Recreational Sports team; a department that enhances the quality of life for the university community by educating and encouraging participation in activities that promote healthy lifestyles, social interactions, and leadership skills.
2) You’ll report to the Assistant Director of Facility Operations. This position is a Regular twelve-month, 100% Staff appointment.
3) You’ll be primarily responsible for the daily operations of McComas Hall which includes budget and resource management, personnel management, customer service, risk and emergency management, compliance and safety, event management, and coordination with maintenance and housekeeping. In addition, the position is responsible for the hiring, technical training, management, development, and evaluation of many employees. Finally, you will collaborate with supervisors and staff on the creation and monitoring of wage and operating budgets, development of departmental policy; with the department scheduler and university scheduling office on events held in recreational facilities; and provide support for special events held in recreational areas (indoor and outdoor).
4) You’ll have the chance to grow and take advantage of a developmental plan with opportunities to advance within the Department and the Division.
5) You’ll be offered a base compensation package between $45,000 to $50,000 with a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, paid leave, retirement, tuition assistance, VT discounts, and so much more!
• Bachelor's degree in Facility Management, Business Administration, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
• Proven experience in facility management, preferably in a recreation center or similar environment.
• Strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills.
• Knowledge of facility maintenance principles, equipment, and systems.
• Ability to manage budgets, allocate resources, and negotiate with suppliers.
• Customer-centric mindset with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Proficiency in using facility management software and Microsoft Office Suite.
• Understanding of safety regulations and emergency protocols.
• Master’s degree in related field
$45,000 - $50,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check and a driver's license check.
This position is considered essential personnel, who is expected to report to work if the university is closed due to inclement weather.
The work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 am - 5 pm with some weeknights and weekends.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
About Student Affairs: Student Affairs at Virginia Tech fosters a community where each student creates a customized experience to meet their goals. Building on our motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice our Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth. We are actively seeking people to join our community and help us prepare leaders for the world. Our people in Student Affairs are committed to student well-being and assuring that all students Experience VT by demonstrating, supporting, and operationalizing our Aspirations for Student Learning. If you are someone dedicated to ensuring student success, then we want you to consider being a part of our team!
About Recreational Sports: The Department of Recreational Sports enhances the quality of life for the university community by educating and encouraging participation in activities that promote healthy lifestyles, social interactions, and leadership skills. The department creates an atmosphere that encourages individuals to develop life-long involvement in recreational activities and is dedicated to meeting the changing needs of a diverse community by offering quality structured and informal recreational opportunities. Recreational Sports provides opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to engage in physical activities to create healthy lifestyle habits. We also provide opportunities for youth in the community to start living an active life. In partnership with the Division of Student Affairs, Recreational Sports aspires to influence students to commit to unwavering curiosity, pursue self-understanding, practice civility, prepare for courageous leadership, and embrace UT Prosim.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Donna Dickerson at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.