Director of Information Technology
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527111
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: College of Engineering
Department: Electrical and ComputerEngineering
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Engineering, Executive / Director / Management, Information Systems / Technology
The Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Virginia Tech is seeking a highly qualified individual to maintain and enhance multiple independent computer facilities consisting of several hundred machines with over 1500 users. The candidate must ensure the smooth operation of the Department computing laboratories, servers, desktop platforms, and provide the technical assistance necessary for problem resolution, system performance monitoring, system upgrading, and system/data security. The successful candidate will interact with students and faculty to provide operating system support, application program support, and hardware maintenance and purchasing support, while supporting the educational mission of the department. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to handle multiple, shifting priorities, the ability to work independently and as part of a team, and excellent customer support skills. Must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license to travel and transport equipment to various work sites across campus.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relative experience in information technology, information security, computer engineering, computer science, or other relevant field.
- Advanced experience with and knowledge of system administration techniques and tools.
- Working knowledge in administering a heterogeneous computing environment, including multiple servers, desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile devices.
- Working knowledge of Windows Active Directory and Windows Server technologies.
- Working knowledge in administering Linux systems.
- Experience working with secure network computing environments, including technologies such as TCP/IP, IPv4 and IPv6, Wi-Fi networks, and firewalls.
- Experience with and knowledge of designing, building, deploying and supporting servers and associated storage systems, with technologies such as DAS, iSCSI, NAS and SAN storage, networking, and security appliances.
- Working knowledge of desktop and server security best practices.
- Experience troubleshooting software, hardware and network problems and the ability to analyze a wide range of related problems.
- Experience with enterprise management of server, desktop and laptop computers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to include the following: strong organizational and customer service communication skills.
- Ability to keep thorough documentation
- Ability to work autonomously, and within a team environment
- Ability to effectively analyze, research, and resolve technical problems
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty, staff and students.
- Experience with Unix systems administration methodologies, tools and security practices, especially with RedHat/CentOS or derivatives.
- Experience with installing and troubleshooting engineering software (MatLab, Cadence, Synopsys, Agilent, etc.).
- Experience with configuring and troubleshooting high performance computing clusters and distributed software.
- Familiar with web technologies and development: Apache, IIS, Java, PHP, HTML, etc.
- Familiar with SQL databases: MS Access/SQL server and MySQL.
- Familiar with central authentication systems: MS Active Directory, Kerberos, LDAP, CAS.
- Familiar with configuration management: SCCM, Kaseya, IBM Bigfix, Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Familiar with monitoring software: Nagios, Zabbix Splunk, Watchguard, etc.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact K Atkins at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend