Assistant Professor, Interior Design
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527312
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: Architecture, Arts, and Design
Department: School of Design
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Architecture / Construction / Planning, Instructional / Teaching Faculty, Visual Arts/Design/Creative Technologies
The Interior Design program at Virginia Tech has consistently been recognized as a top interior design program since the early 2000s. We invite applications to join our team as a tenure-track Assistant Professor effective August 2024. The program is part of the new School of Design, one of the four schools in the newly formed College of Architecture, Arts, and Design (AAD). The School of Design includes undergraduate and graduate programs in industrial design, interior design, and landscape architecture and includes over 20 full-time faculty and staff. The Program of Interior Design currently has 9 full and part time faculty and roughly 160 undergraduate interior design majors.
This is an opportunity for enthusiastic and creative applicants to join with our program’s faculty, staff, and students to contribute to our thriving and inclusive learning community, and to advance our program’s core values:
• Wellness – we practice responsibly and will always strive to better human, social, and environmental well-being;
• Diverse thought and experiences – we celebrate our differences and we realize that harnessing our collective experiences empowers lives and presents new solutions to complex problems;
• Professionalism – we prepare our students with the necessary abilities to effectively interact with all stakeholders and we instill our students with qualities to be effective leaders in the profession;
• Ut Prosim – we actively engage with those in need and offer experiences that positively impact the surrounding community;
• Breadth – we provide learning experiences across the program to support these goals and offer interdisciplinary opportunities for students to work with allied design disciplines.
Our mission as a faculty, with engaged support from our advisory board, industry partners, and school and college leadership, is to ensure that every graduate from our program enters design practice with full understanding of how impactful their design decisions can be; that our students graduate with a commitment to approach their practice with profound empathy and care; and that each student graduates with both the mindset and abilities to practice with intention and agency in order to effectively address the human and environmental challenges we face today and will face tomorrow.
Our program, School of Design, and the AAD college are committed to actively supporting the professional development of new faculty, their teaching, research and scholarship, and engagement initiatives.
The primary responsibility of this faculty position is to balance teaching in our undergraduate and graduate Interior Design programs each semester with a clear research and scholarship agenda. Our new assistant professor is expected to teach one studio and one lecture each semester. Along with the teaching responsibility, our new colleague is expected to develop a robust research and scholarship agenda appropriate for the tenure track faculty line.
The program offers ample opportunities for faculty cooperation and interaction within the school and college, as well as across the university. Applicants are expected to work collaboratively and encouraged to work across disciplines. New faculty will be expected to work with the college in furthering key strategic initiatives in the realization of the University’s Beyond Boundaries vision and new School of Design and AAD initiatives. New faculty are also expected to contribute their service to support the program, school, and college and also encouraged to find ways to support the profession.
The College of Architecture, Arts, and Design at Virginia Tech affirms our collective responsibility to encourage, build, and embrace the polyculturalism of our world. We do this by acknowledging and addressing our past, recognizing our current responsibility, and acting in the interests of building and sustaining communities that are truly safe, supportive, and inclusive for all. Our commitment is to continually and proactively engage in these processes for the benefit of our students, staff, and faculty across the college, and the communities around the world we aim to serve.
• A terminal degree in Interior Design or in a related design field by appointment start date.
• Demonstrated evidence toward developing a robust body of design scholarship.
• Demonstrated passion for teaching design studio and other courses across the curriculum.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Excellent communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
• NCIDQ or ability to take the NCIDQ within two years of hire.
• Demonstrated ability to integrate the learning experience of the design studio with the program’s initiatives in areas such as human and environment wellness, user-centered design, interdisciplinary/collaborative design projects, research or evidence-based design education and three-dimensional modeling/digital fabrication.
• Professional certifications or memberships in professional organizations
- Curriculum vitae.
- Cover letter expressing interest and qualifications, including summary of relevant experiences and accomplishments, works in progress, or proposed work that demonstrates your potential for success in this position.
- A one page personal statement of teaching philosophy including the candidate's ideas for supporting an equitable and inclusive educational environment consistent with the Virginia Tech Principles of Community. Specific examples of experiences, activities, and plans will help us identify candidates who can support our college’s aim to sustain an equitable climate and extend our University's commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Portfolio of design work (max 9 MB PDF).
- Reference list of three persons (including the names and titles) the search committee may contact. Including: e-mail addresses and phone numbers.
Additional materials may be requested from shortlisted candidates.
Salary range is $75,000 - $80,000 per year
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend