Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527720
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Executive VP & Chief Oper Officer
Department: Public Safety
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Communications / Public Relations / Marketing, Administrative / Clerical, Other, Visual Arts/Design/Creative Technologies
The Public Safety Division is home to Police, Emergency Management, and Environmental Health and Safety units tasked with creating and sustaining a safe, secure, and resilient environment. Together with campus and community partners, we work to create a culture of preparedness; provide students and employees with training resources; promote and support safe working, academic and research environments; and provide nationally accredited law enforcement services. Communications are foundational to our outreach mission and to the Division's ability to promote community and operational resilience.
The Communications Manager for the Division of Public Safety is responsible for strategic oversight and alignment of a united communications program and marketing strategy for all departments reporting to the Associate Vice President for Public Safety (Virginia Tech Police Department, Virginia Tech Emergency Management, Environmental Health and Safety, and support units). This role aligns activities with university-wide communications, marketing, and brand initiatives established by Virginia Tech's Communications and Marketing.
The Communications Manager works closely with department heads to continually improve the sharing of information, both internal to the division as well as to the university community and the broader external community. The Communications Manager reports to the Associate Vice President for Public Safety and has a dotted line responsibility to the Senior Director of Communications for the EVPCOO.
• Bachelor's Degree in communications, journalism, or related field and/or an equivalent level of related work experience.
• Substantial skill in developing communication, web and social marketing materials, strong
writing skills, emphasizing news releases, articles, web, and social media.
• Working knowledge and understanding of effective graphic design and branding principles and using the internet as a communication medium.
• Ability to distill complex information into descriptions appropriate for a wide range of
• Ability to work with various personnel, collaborate on projects, and perform responsibilities in a proactive, responsive, and professional manner with minimal supervision.
• Proven ability to work with and keep sensitive data and information confidential.
• Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to the values expressed in the Virginia Tech Principles of
• Master's Degree in communications, journalism, or related field.
• Experience working in a multicultural environment.
• Experience working in higher education.
• Demonstrated experience collaborating with others.
• Experience with communications governance.
• Experience with website implementation/redesign.
• Experience with photography and/or videography and ability to effectively select and use photography and video to complement messaging strategies.
• Experience working with various creative communications, data analytics, email management, and web content management software platforms.
Anticipated to be between $63,000 - $70,000; Commensurate with education and experience.
Initial review on December 15, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Bobbi Myers at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend