When was the last time you changed the world? In Virginia Tech’s Division of Student Affairs, that’s exactly what we’re doing every day—guiding, nurturing, and supporting students as they learn and grow into the leaders and world-changers of today and tomorrow.
We’re currently searching for an International Student Services Assistant to join the Cranwell International Center (CIC) team in Blacksburg, VA to help us in our mission. The Administrative Manager reports to the Associate Director of International Student Services and is responsible for providing excellent front-line support for Virginia Tech’s international students and visitors to Cranwell International Center. The International Student Services team ensures the university's compliance with federal regulations governing the enrollment of international students, issues immigration documents for newly admitted students, and reviews and processes validation reports for international student alumni. The International Student Services Assistant will function as a Designated School Official (DSO), certified by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS), utilizing the DHS Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). If you are interested in utilizing these skills to support our office that supports 3500+ international students, please continue reading.
Here’s what you need to know about the role:
1. You’ll be joining the Cranwell International Center, a department that exists to articulate, advocate, and act in support of international students, amplifying their contributions to the Virginia Tech community and to the advancement of the university as more globally oriented and internationally connected.
2. You’ll report to the Associate Director of International Student Services. This position is a Regular, Calendar Year, 100% Staff appointment.
3. You’ll be primarily responsible for supporting the International Student Services team by creating a welcoming experience for students at the front desk, managing timely international student questions, and providing basic immigration support.
4. You’ll have the chance to grow and take advantage of a developmental plan with opportunities to advance within the Department and the Division.
5. You’ll be offered a salary range from $40,000 - $44,000 plus a comprehensive benefits package which includes health insurance, paid leave, retirement, tuition assistance, VT discounts, and so much more!
• Associate's degree and/or equivalent related experience.
• Demonstrated customer service experience in a high-volume professional environment.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Interest in learning about international student immigration regulations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, professional office practices and procedures.
• Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills to interact comfortably and respectfully with faculty, staff, and students of diverse cultural backgrounds.
• Proficiency in utilizing office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage competing priorities.
• Demonstrated professionalism in handling confidential and sensitive information.
• DSO eligible.
$40,000 - $44,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
About Student Affairs: Student Affairs at Virginia Tech fosters a community where each student creates a customized experience to meet their goals. Building on our motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice our Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth. We are actively seeking people to join our community and help us prepare leaders for the world. Our people in Student Affairs are committed to student well-being and assuring that all students Experience VT by demonstrating, supporting, and operationalizing our Aspirations for Student Learning. If you are someone dedicated to ensuring student success, then we want you to consider being a part of our team!
About Cranwell International Center (CIC): The Cranwell International Center provides a wide range of programs and services for international students, promotes the development of global and intercultural competence in all students, and positions the university as more globally oriented and internationally connected.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please, contact Cristina Rosa Castaner at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days before the event.