MUSCP - Advanced Practice Provider (APP - NP/PA)- Surgery: Foregut & Metabolic Surgery
Job no: 545150
Position type: Full-Time
Location: Charleston, SC
Division/Equivalent: MUSC Physicians University Medical Associates
School/Unit: Bu/College Of Medicine
Categories: Advanced Practice Providers
DELIVERING. INNOVATING. TEACHING. INSPIRING.
Just a few of the reasons why you should join the team that is CHANGING WHAT'S POSSIBLE.
Entity/Organization: MUSCP - (MUSC Physicians)
Job Title: MUSCP - Advanced Practice Provider (APP - NP/PA) - Surgery: Foregut & Metabolic Surgery
Job Summary/ Purpose: The Foregut & Metabolic/Bariatric Surgery Program Advanced Practice Provider (APP) works under the direction and collaboration with bariatric/GI surgeons primarily supporting the Foregut and Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program. The purpose of this position is to provide supervised medical services and perioperative surgical care to the GI/metabolic and bariatric surgery specialty patient population, under the supervision of the program Medical Director and attending physicians that includes 3 adult and 1 adolescent bariatric surgeon. He/she works collaboratively with the Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Interdisciplinary Team (Program Coordinator, RN coordinator, patient navigators/admins, registered dietitians, behavioral health providers) providing consistency to both the program and outpatients. The position supports clinics across the MUSC enterprise downtown, regional, and through telehealth appointments seeing a growing number of new patients per year, and long term follow up. The APP helps develop evidence-based protocols and standards for all activities in the department of bariatrics.
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Salaried/Exempt
Hours per week: 40
Scheduled Work Hours/Shift: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (may vary depending on clinic start time).
Patient Population Focus
Outpatient, may have some inpatient coverage for patients on the Foregut/Metabolic/Bariatric service.
Patient Population Age Range
Required Training and Experience:
Required Minimum Training: Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program and currently licensed or eligible for licensure as a Physician Assistant or completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program and currently licensed or eligible for licensure as an APRN as noted below.
APRN License Type/Certification:
- AGPNP/ANP (Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult Nurse Practitioner)
- FNP (Family Nurse Practitioner)
Required Experience: Minimum 1 year experience as an APP
Preferred Training and Experience
Preferred Training: Physician Assistant (PA) or if APRN, License Type/Certification identified below:
- AGACNP/ACNP (Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP/Acute Care Nurse Practitioner)
Preferred Experience: Experience in an outpatient setting preferred; Experience working with general and bariatric surgical patients preferred.
Degree of Supervision
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant will be assigned a Primary Supervising/Collaborating Physician employed by MUSC and will report directly to this physician.
Required Licensure, Certifications, Registrations
All certifications must be current and complete prior to start date:
Basic Life Support (BLS).
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) required for adult inpatient positions
If applicable, DHEC and DEA license applications must be started prior to first day.
Provides direct care to patients through the following activities:
- Takes comprehensive history and performs physical examinations
- Evaluates and treats on the basis of history, physical examination, radiological, laboratory, and other diagnostic test results pursuant to the practice agreement or scope of practice guideline
- Initiates referrals to other health care provides, and/or consults with the attending physician or the collaborating physician
- Documents and bills for direct care provided
- Utilizes current research and evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice
- Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research
- Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization
- Demonstrates responsibility for professional practice through active participation in professional organizations and continuing education
- Potential to precept students at MUSC enrolled as an advanced practice provider student; and facilitates the learning of other new team members
- APRN or PA must maintain licenses, certifications, CNEs/CMEs, etc. as required by applicable policies and state law
- The Advanced Practice Provider will work in the outpatient clinic (Downtown Charleston and other clinics as determined ie. Nexton, Telehealth clinics regionally) as an independent provider with the collaboration of an assigned attending physician managing GI/General/Bariatric surgical disease processes including preoperative, perioperative, and postoperative care
- Provides appropriate, individualized pre and post-operative education and counseling
- Prescribes, refills, and completes preauthorization for medications as required
- Assesses and interprets the need for and utilization of transitional resources
- Assesses and interprets patient needs, gaps and requirements
- Works with minimal guidance on routine cases, seeks guidance/collaboration on complex cases
- Works collaboratively with co-workers and other health care professional members of the multidisciplinary team to ensure a high standard of patient care and efficient operations
- Initiates the referrals to appropriate specialists
- Develops care plans in collaboration with patient/caregiver/provider/dietitian/behavioral health providers
- Identifies learning needs and obtains informed consent/assent from patients and families preoperatively and conducts education to meet needs and support for patients and families
- Provides care for special populations within the bariatric surgery program, including but not limited to adolescent patients, revisional/conversion surgery, those undergoing endoscopic weight loss procedures, and other innovative procedures as they become available
- Educates and supports patients to assist them in the best decision making for their health and wellness
- Participates, collaborates, or initiates research activities related to bariatric surgery practice
- Participates in Program activities including but not limited to: quality meetings, roundtable patient selection meetings for adults/adolescents, support group, preoperative education classes, and conducts staff in-services
Physical Requirements: Continuous requirements are to perform job functions while standing, walking and sitting. Ability to bend at the waist, kneel, climb stairs, reach in all directions, fully use both hands and legs, possess good finger dexterity, perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists/elbows and shoulders, reach in all directions. Ability to be qualified physically for respirator use, initially and as required. Maintain 20/40 vision corrected, see and recognize objects close at hand and at a distance, work in a latex safe environment and work indoors. Frequently lift, lower, push and pull and/or carry objects weighing 50 lbs (+/-) unassisted, exert up to 50 lbs of force, lift from 36" to overhead 25 lbs. Infrequently work in dusty areas and confined/cramped spaces.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time