Professor of Practice
Job no: 512868
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Business
Department: Finance, Insurance & Business Law
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Instructional / Teaching Faculty
The Department of Finance at Virginia Tech invites applications for an Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Practice, dependent on qualifications, with an enthusiasm for teaching and leadership in a nationally recognized undergraduate Financial Planning Program. The program is 1 of 7 undergraduate options in the department. This non-tenure track position is available Fall 2020 or Spring 2021.
Candidates must be committed to the pursuit of teaching excellence, and the support and advancement of the Financial Planning Program. Occasional travel to accompany and mentor students at professional conferences and meetings is also required. Other qualifications include:
• Significant professional and/or teaching experience in financial planning
• CFP® professional or requirement to obtain CFP® designation within 1 year of start date. CFA, CPA, ChFC, CLU, or other appropriate designations valued
• Master’s degree or higher in financial planning, business or related field by appointment start date; Ph.D. valued although not required; this is not a tenure-track position
• Demonstrated commitment to furthering financial planning education and/or outreach
• Demonstrated content expertise in the Financial Planning Program
• Evidence of teaching ability, curriculum planning, leadership and collegiality
• Active participation in the profession of financial planning, including active membership in relevant professional associations
• Strong preference for the candidate to have the background (academic or experience ) to also teach courses in the broader finance curriculum
• Experience interacting with a diverse student or client population is desirable
Commensurate with experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Apply to the Virginia Tech Job Website at http://jobs.vt.edu. (Search for Job #512868 or Teaching & Research Faculty under Work Type). Applications should include a curriculum vita, details of recent teaching and professional experience, and names and contact information of three references. Confidential communications such as letters of recommendation may be emailed to email@example.com, or sent by mail to Ms. Terry Goodson, Department of Finance, Pamplin Hall 1016, Virginia Tech, 880 West Campus Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Founded in 1872, Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing students to be leaders and problem-solvers.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend