FBRI Library Studio Manager
Job no: 513294
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Dean of Libraries
Location: Roanoke Area
Categories: Library, Other
Reporting to the Head of FBRI Library and Research Engagement, the FBRI Library Studio Manager will be responsible for overseeing various technology spaces housed within the new Fralin Biomedical Research Institute Library on the VTC Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke, Virginia. The library space will boast open work spaces, a 3D printing studio, a data visualization and virtual/augmented reality studio, and a studio that supports long-term team collaboration. The FBRI Library Studio Manager will provide one-on-one studio consultations and demonstrations of the technology, coordinate outreach activities, and engage with Virginia Tech Carilion faculty and students to support experiential learning opportunities. This position will have the opportunity to develop, implement and assess library programming and research services that support the needs of diverse biomedical researchers, and the Studio Manager will hire, train and supervise student workers and/or assistants to staff and support the studio spaces.
The FBRI Library Studio Manager will:
- Manage the 3D printing studio, data visualization studio, VR/AR space and long-term collaboration studio; collaborate with other library groups to ensure a consistent user experience between the main library, Newman Library, and the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute Library
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of the technology within the library space by coordinating planning, maintaining and repairing functional equipment with University Libraries IT
- Develop, facilitate, and coordinate workshops for students and faculty to learn new equipment, tools and resources
- Regularly evaluate programming and research services for effectiveness and to inform future program design
- Research other biomedical innovation spaces and participate in technology-enhanced learning communities of practice
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging technologies, such as the use of virtual reality or data visualization concepts in academic research
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and troubleshoot in a fast-paced, changing work environment
- Commitment to inclusion and diversity in the workplace and community
- Master’s degree or advanced training in technology-enhanced learning environments
- Demonstrated experience in supporting new and emerging classroom and makerspace technologies (3D printers, VR/AR technology, data visualization, text and data mining, etc)
- Demonstrated evidence or strong background of biomedical information trends, tools, and resources
- Experience in hiring and supervising student workers
- Experience in developing, coordinating or assessing programming
A/P faculty Lecturer regular full-time appointment
$52,000 dependent on qualifications and experience
The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, and names of three (3) references and their contact information.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, the University Libraries commit to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend