Job no: 517203
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Virginia Tech Electric Service
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Facilities / Skilled Trades
Will design and maintain electrical distribution and substation systems (12,470/7,200 volts). Responsibilities include designing, writing specifications, preparing cost estimates and managing and coordinating multiple electric utility distribution system projects of varying types and complexity. Designing, coordinating and directing installation, maintenance and operation activities related to substations, substation control systems, primary and secondary distribution systems, and street lighting systems to ensure a cost effective, safe and reliable electrical system. Provides customer service concerning technical issues.
• Must have a minimum of at least a four-year undergraduate degree in electrical or power engineering from an accredited institution of high education.
• Working knowledge of electrical distribution systems.
• Working knowledge of National Electrical Code and National Electrical Safety Code.
• Experience using personal computers and a variety of office software.
• Must have the ability to analyze and resolve technical problems.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Experience using AutoCad and SCADA.
• Hands-on engineering of overhead and underground distribution systems, substation relaying, metering, and control systems (project management skills are not a priority in this position).
• Registration as a professional engineer.
• Must have a criminal background check.
• Must have a driver's license check.
• Emergency Personnel.
• Must have an acceptable and safe driving record.
• In addition to emergency calls, on occasion may be requested to work different work schedule to meet department needs.
• Virginia Tech Electric Service (VTES) is an auxiliary organization of Virginia Tech (VT). While the university is the primary customer of VTES, service is also provided to retail customers (residential, commercial, and industrial) in the Town of Blacksburg. VTES receives its bulk power at 69 kv from American Electric Power (AEP) and operates its distribution system at 12,400/7,200 volts with both overhead and underground configurations. VTES is not in the generation or transmission business.
Please see the new requirement for incoming employees with Virginia Tech: COVID-19 vaccines are now required for all employees. Verification of receiving the COVID vaccine will be required as a condition of employment for all new employees.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend