Job no: 517536
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Telecommunications Auxiliary
Location: Telework Eligible, Blacksburg Area
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is a part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We are a financially self-supporting auxiliary that provides advanced network, communications, public safety, and data center services. We design, deploy, and operate enterprise scale network, systems, monitoring, and communication services. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person with both business and technical competencies to fill this role. Our role as an internal technology service provider and auxiliary enterprise provides our employees with interesting and challenging opportunities to gain experience delivering advanced technology services while developing general business experience. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work in a collaborative and agile technology organization that is responsible for managing business and financial planning activities like a typical small- to medium-sized business.
Systems Analysts serve as the interface between product stakeholders and agile development teams. In collaboration with key stakeholders, they develop and in-depth understanding of the system and associated processes and analyze business need(s) to be fulfilled, identify opportunities for work-flow and efficiency improvements, translate needs and opportunities into a vision for the product, and contribute to the overall success of the solution being developed. The primary objective is to maximize the value delivered by the development team.
As a Systems Analyst you will have an opportunity to engage with stakeholders and customers to deliver high value products and services to help support the university mission by:
● Collaborating with stakeholders throughout the development process
● Determine operational objectives by studying, observing and performing business functions to identify potential areas for improvement or work-flow refinement
● Work with internal and external customers and stakeholders to analyze needs and opportunities while also considering cost-benefit and technical feasibility and alignment with product development roadmap to strategic goals
● Translate requirements and requests into a user stories that serve to inform the development team what and why features need to be built
● Serve as a liaison between the end-user and development team during the development process
● Answer questions, provide feedback, and share domain knowledge to guide product development
● Prioritize user stories on the product backlog in preparation for sprints
● Attend sprint planning meetings and provide guidance on development priorities
● Attend daily scrums to answer questions and provide feedback
● Monitor issues (in JIRA, or other issue tracking system) to keep track of progress, comments, and requests for information
● Specify that products are ready for production deployment after verifying that the product has been tested and reviewed with stakeholders
● Facilitate the creation of documentation to help transition new features to operational readiness
● Provide process consulting to operations staff to ensure responsive support for our products.
● Bachelor’s degree in Business, Information Systems, Accounting, or related field
● Strong analytical and problem solving skills
● Strong business and technical acumen
● Basic understanding of database and information management systems
● Facilitation and consultative skills
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Certified Scrum Product Owner Certification
● Experience in developing software requirements
● Knowledge of Agile principles and processes
● Experience managing technical projects
● Experience working with stakeholders to deliver successful outcomes
● Successful track record estimating and meeting project goals and deadlines
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Travis DeGrandi at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend