Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education
Job no: 518990
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: VT Carilion School of Medicine
Department: Dean of VTC School of Medicine
Location: Roanoke Area
Categories: Medical Professionals
The Senior Associate Dean, Medical Education (SADME) serves as part of the senior leadership team at Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (VTCSOM), supporting the Dean in all activities and focusing on execution of strategies developed by the leadership team. The SADME provides management, coordination, and leadership to ensure excellence in all areas related to the school’s undergraduate medical education program, and works closely with the Dean, senior leadership, the medical curriculum committees, and faculty to implement all activities related to the medical school curriculum, including the success of its innovative curricular domain of health systems science and interprofessional practice. While maintaining focus on the VTCSOM mission, the SADME provides support for faculty in the creation of an evolving curriculum responsive to the needs of medical students.
Minimum Qualifications and Attributes:
• MD (or equivalent) or PhD
• If MD, a Virginia medical license, or eligibility for a Virginia medical license
• Five to seven years experience in administration at an accredited school of medicine
• Experience in teaching and administration of medical education programs in adherence to
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; an understanding of its
importance to the mission and richness of the medical school and its ongoing success
• Excellent communication, time management, organizational, and follow-through skills
• Ability to effectively manage multiple, competing priorities within a rapidly evolving work
• A person of absolute integrity who engenders trust
• A person of high energy, optimism, and perseverance to bring initiatives to fruition.
• Sufficient computer skills to successfully navigate all position responsibilities
• Academic credentials appropriate for the rank of Associate Professor or Professor
Preferred Experience, Skills, and/or Training/Education:
• Formal training in higher education, medical education, educational research, and/or
• Demonstrated experience in:
• Working directly with senior medical school leadership/administration
• Leading a medical school through accreditation processes
• Building and supervising effective teams in identifying and solving problems related
to medical education
• Leading and/or actively participating in professional organizations dedicated to
• Skills and abilities required for effectively teaching medical students and other health
professions learners as indicated by one’s discipline and/or scholarly interests
• A track record of accomplishment in medical education research, including publications,
presentations and/or grant funding
The department values diversity and continually strives to maintain and promote an inclusive learning, working, and research environment that embraces all students and employees. We are particularly interested in applications from persons identifying with groups currently underrepresented in the Virginia Tech community.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine:
In partnership with Carilion Clinic and the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech Carilion, the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine is a cornerstone of one of the nation’s premier health and biomedical research ecosystems. Located in Roanoke, Virginia, the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and 40 miles from the Virginia Tech main campus in Blacksburg, VTCSOM provides abundant opportunities to deliver innovative, discovery-based medical education in a community-based and picturesque setting. Its innovative curriculum includes robust, longitudinal mentored research training and a major curricular emphasis on health systems science and interprofessional practice. The school has been recognized with Health Profession HEED (Higher Education Excellence in Diversity) Awards since 2018 for its outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion. Students are also attracted to VTCSOM due to its 99% match success, including competitive specialties and programs. With a 2.3% acceptance rate, VTCSOM receives over 6,400 applications for 49 positions and is poised for continued growth.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisa Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend