Building Automation Engineering Specialist
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 520284
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP Campus Planning and Facilities
Department: FS - Utilities
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus
Categories: Engineering, Facilities / Skilled Trades
The Engineering Specialist is a building automation system technician position which reports to the ICM Supervisor. This position will focus on various long- and short-term initiatives/projects such as retro-commissioning work associated with Climate Action Commitment Plan goals and in-house HVAC controls projects, etc., while also performing day-to-day maintenance and operation of the BAS to ensure sustainable operations. The Engineering Specialist must be detail, action, solution, and results oriented and dedicated to continuous improvement. The incumbent is expected to fulfill identified responsibilities independently while maintaining effective communication with the ICM Supervisor.
• Serves as a member of the Instrumentation, Controls, and Metering department to implement and execute collaborative retro-commissioning efforts on campus to meet CAC goals while maintaining operational needs of the university. Retro-commissioning tasks to include development of trends, programming, managing and maintaining HVAC schedules, interpretation of schematics, plans and control sequences, modification to system graphics, engaging service vendor, providing cost estimates and confirming proper operation of systems after execution.
• Monitors, operates, maintains, modifies, troubleshoots and replaces pneumatic, electric, electronic and direct digital controls systems for campus HVAC building controls, lighting controls and building control system network to ensure occupant comfort, space pressurization, improve system efficiency, and reduce facility operating costs.
• Assists with renovation, capital, and maintenance project reviews, provides verification of existing conditions prior to project design completion and participates in start-up and commissioning activities upon completion of projects. Participates in job site final walk-through, completes all job closeout documentation, and provides customer training.
• Oversees the creation of system graphics for all projects ensuring uniformity and implementation of university standards.
• Acts as technical resource to customers and field employees.
• Organizes and maintains job documentation.
• Works independently and follows through on assignments with minimal direction.
• Associates degree in electronics or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Demonstrated experience with installation, programming, start-up, commissioning, integration, modifying, troubleshooting and repair of one or more direct digital control systems such as Siemens Apogee or Siemens Desigo CC.
• Demonstrated experience configuring and integrating various manufacturer graphical user interfaces, network level controllers and field level controllers using BACnet, LonWorks, Modbus, and proprietary protocols.
• Ability to Create and/or verify all HVAC systems point databases and all programming for all the systems for new building or retrofit systems.
• Experience verifying the accuracy and calibration of all system components.
• Experience installing and calibrating new or replacement devices.
• Experience reprogramming the BAS to achieve maximum energy savings.
• Experience programming, updating, and changing night setback schedules.
• Experience developing control sequences of operations.
• Knowledge of mechanical/electrical engineering fundamentals, air and water system designs, chilled water plant, steam, and heating hot water system operation, airflow hoods, and variable frequency motor drives needed for the day-to-day operation of efficient building BAS operations.
• Strong writing and communication skills, interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and the ability to effectively interact and build trusted relationships with diverse internal and external constituencies.
• Ability to interact with contractors and commissioning agents to verify systems are installed and operating properly.
• Ability to verify readings and measurements on building automation systems.
• Ability to understand complex interrelationships between multiple mechanical and electrical systems.
• Ability to work from drawings, schematics, blueprints, and job layouts. Works with a variety of hand tools including various TAB instrumentation.
- Demonstrated high proficiency with current office software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, database management systems, electronic mail, and presentation applications.
- This position is designated as “Emergency Personnel”. Must be available twenty-four hours per day, seven days a week to provide support during planned or emergency situations or events to include being physically on site if deemed necessary.
• Demonstrated experience in the repair, maintenance, control and operation of complex HVAC systems at a large institution or commercial facility.
• Demonstrated experience working with pneumatic and DDC building management control systems.
• Previous experience using building automation systems to control electrical and mechanical systems serving vivariums, biosafety laboratories, classrooms, and offices,
• Experience with Siemens Apogee, Siemens Desigo CC, and Trane Tracer Ensemble.
• Work hours are typically M – F 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. however additional hours or modified schedule may be required to meet the needs of the management areas.
• This position is designated as “Emergency Personnel”. Must be available twenty-four hours per day, seven days a week to provide support during planned, or emergency situations or events to include being physically on site if deemed necessary.
• Must have a criminal background check. Must have a driver’s license check.
• Must have an acceptable and safe driving record.
• Emergency Personnel – health & safety related.
• After hours and weekend work may be required to meet the needs of the department.
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
• As situation dictates, must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.
• This position meets the criteria for issuance of a mobile communication device (such as radio, cell-phone, I-pad, I-pod, pager, etc.). Devices issued are the responsibility of the employee and are to be returned in satisfactory condition upon separation of employment. Devices are to be used according to supervisor instruction and according to relevant policies.
• Ability to arrive at main campus for emergency call backs within thirty minutes to one hour.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend