Assistant Director of Recruitment
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 520603
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Natural Resources
Department: College of Natural Resources
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus, Hybrid
Categories: Academic Advising / Support, Other, Natural Resources
The College of Natural Resources and Environment seeks to hire an Assistant Director of Recruitment to provide support for the strategic recruitment of undergraduate students into 11 undergraduate academic programs within the college. This position will engage with college and university units across campus such as admissions, advising, communications/marketing, inclusion/diversity, and academic departments to help both current and prospective students find their place at Virginia Tech. This position will report to the Director of Recruitment for the College of Natural Resources and Environment, and will be housed within the college’s Advising Center. This position may be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement.
Our college is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive community of faculty, staff, and students. We encourage applications from persons identifying with historically underrepresented and underserved groups, including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, Hispanic/Latinx, LGBTQ+, disabled, and first-generation students. Recruitment of underrepresented and underserved students is an important part of this position, and individuals who have experience recruiting and knowledge of challenges specific to underrepresented and underserved student populations are preferred.
The Assistant Director of Recruitment position will broadly consist of two primary areas of responsibility: recruitment activities (70%) and communications/marketing (30%).
Recruitment Activities –70%
• Develop strategies to promote academic programs to prospective students and current students seeking an alternative major that better matches their skills and interests
• Deliver regular information sessions on academic programs available within the college to current students seeking an alternative major and prospective students
• Meet with and serve as a point of contact for current and prospective students
• Assist current Virginia Tech students exploring new majors and minors
• Staff info booths on campus at various events (college fairs, majors fairs, activities fair, etc.)
• Co-manage the CNRE Student Ambassadors
• Assist with Open House Weekends (two per semester)
• Assist with recruitment programming at special events (homecoming, summer camps, etc.)
• Occasional travel to support key recruitment events (National FFA Convention and Virginia State Fair)
• Establish and maintain strong working relationships with campus partners to promote CNRE academic programs
• Utilize SLATE (enrollment management software) to manage contact with current students seeking an alternative major and prospective students
• Develop and manage major-specific, drip-stream email campaigns
• Develop and manage digital marketing campaigns
• Develop and manage physical advertising campaigns
• Assist with the creation of major-specific recruitment videos
Bachelor’s degree in counseling, education, marketing, communication, natural resources, or related field
Experience in student recruitment, admissions, advising, counseling, mentoring, or academic/career coaching
Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Excellent organizational and project management skills
Ability to work some evenings and weekends as required
Ability to be flexible and adaptable within a high traffic, student-centered environment
Strong desire to help students explore and identify academic and career options
A commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students
Master’s degree in higher education administration, student development, counseling, education, marketing, communication, natural resources, or related field
Experience in higher education recruitment, admissions, or marketing
Experience using digital marketing and advertising campaigns for recruitment
Ability to create content and graphics for recruitment marketing efforts
Experience with enrollment management software, preferably SLATE
Evidence of multicultural competence working with underrepresented/underserved students
Familiarity with the natural resources programs at Virginia Tech
July 1, 2022, open until filled
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Linda Fitzgerald at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend