Postdoctoral Associate- Smyth Lab
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 521631
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Fralin Biomedical Res. Institute
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Categories: Research / Scientific, Medical Professionals
The laboratory of James Smyth, Ph.D. at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute is seeking a Postdoctoral Associate in the area of cardiovascular biology and/or virology. Dr. Smyth’s research group focuses on the gap junction protein connexin 43, which is essential for action potential propagation in the heart. Employing state of the art super-resolution microscopy, combined with genetic, molecular, and biochemical techniques, the Smyth lab studies cellular mechanisms regulating intercellular communication and how these are altered in cardiac disease states. We are particularly interested in interrogating the role of translational control and dynamic protein synthesis is heart disease in addition to our work on viral pathogenesis. The candidate is expected to participate in research grant preparations, manuscript writing and presentation of research results at international conferences.
- Ph.D. in Cardiovascular Biology, Cell Biology, Virology, or equivalent. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Possess research interests in cardiac disease and/or viral pathogenesis.
- Be enthusiastic about collaborative and interdisciplinary research, be highly motivated to develop as an independent scientist, have a strong work ethic and demonstrate excellent scientific and communication skills.
- A record of research excellence as indicated by peer-reviewed publications and presentations. - Strong interpersonal, organizational and team skills. Highly motivated and creative.
- Demonstrated expertise in the following areas is advantageous: in vivo models of cardiovascular diseases and/or viral infection, mammalian cell culture, molecular biology, and imaging.
- Additional areas of expertise favored but not required include any of: live-cell imaging, next-gen sequencing, molecular virology, small animal surgery, electrophysiology, and use of Langendorff-perfusion apparatus.
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Shelton at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend