Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 524418
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Enterprise Systems
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
The Cloud Architect is responsible for leading the creation of a technology framework and providing technical leadership in support of Virginia Tech initiatives in cloud computing and automation, with a focus on the design of systems and services that run on cloud platforms. Additionally, the Cloud Architect will be responsible for ensuring that critical applications are designed and optimized for high availability and disaster recovery.
(50% - Cloud Architecture Design and Development): Demonstrate knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability). Demonstrate knowledge of DevOps tool chains and processes Cloud Architect Position Description. Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for cloud architecture, including AWS and future providers, networking, provisioning, and management. Develop a library of deployable and documented cloud design patterns, based on the application portfolio, as a basis for deploying services to the cloud. Demonstrate leadership ability to back decisions with research and the “why,” and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation. Maintain overall industry knowledge on latest trends, technology, etc. Develop solutions architecture and evaluate architectural alternatives for private, public and hybrid cloud models, including IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services. Contribute to DevOps development activities and complex development tasks. Define optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability and disaster recovery for applications.
(40% - Cloud Support): Perform software installations, configurations, upgrades and patches to support life cycle administration of enterprise systems in the cloud. Perform and manage backup and recovery processes for cloud based databases, applications and/or web server environments. Collaborate and coordinate with IT staff for development, implementation, and ongoing expansion of enterprise systems in the cloud.
(10% - Governance): Establish cloud implementation practices and guidelines. Conduct reviews of implemented solutions and make recommendations for improvements. Assess the security and availability posture of implemented solutions. Identify risks and propose solutions.
Position is eligible for telecommuting.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field plus 4 years of work experience in any relevant occupation;
• 4 years working with a broad suite of AWS based technologies including EC2, S3, VPC, CloudFront, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, Route53, RDS, ACM and DynamoDB;
• 4 years working with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) technology;
• 4 years experience managing Docker Infrastructure in one of the following: ECS, EKS, Kubernetes, or Docker Swarm;
• 4 years demonstrated experience in design and delivery of comprehensive enterprise level technology solutions;
• 3 years experience working with IAM users, roles and policies. Including the configuration of SAML authentication for AWS users and development of fine-grained IAM polices;
• 3 years demonstrated experience in business process analysis, including requirements, analysis and;
• 2 years experience with CI/CD frameworks (e.g. Gitlab CI/CD, Jenkins, etc.);
• 2 years experience implementing and supporting cloud based data lakes;
• 2 years experience establishing governance standards and policies for cloud based architectures;
• 2 years demonstrated experience with database technologies.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Bane at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend