Program Support Technician
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527881
Work type: Staff
Senior management: College of Engineering
Department: Computer Science
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Academic Advising / Support, Administrative / Clerical, Engineering, Student Affairs / Services
The Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech is seeking a Program Support Technician to support the Office Undergraduate Programs (OUP) and Student Services on the Blacksburg campus. This student-facing position will work closely and collaboratively with a wide group of stakeholders to provide innovative, specialized support that is grounded in the principles of excellent student support, organization, innovation, exceptional customer service and collegiality. This position is truly dynamic with opportunities for growth and professional development.
This role will serve as the main point of contact for the Undergraduate Programs and Student Services Offices. The major areas of responsibility include Front desk reception and coordination of day-to-day office functions (30%); High-level administrative support (35%); Student support, engagement, and communication (30%); and Professional Development/Ongoing Training (5%); Limited work in the evenings to support student events may also be required.
We encourage applications from persons identifying with underrepresented groups, including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, people of color, and all members of the LGBTQ+ community.
• Demonstrated proficiency using various types of software, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, desktop publishing, calendaring, and email; managing information on shared servers; and using the internet for research/information gathering.
• Experience supporting the internal day-to-day operations of a professional office environment using sound judgment, initiative, and discretion.
• Exceptional organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks and follow through to completion with strict attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and confidentially.
• Demonstrated ability to problem-solve, ask important questions, and communicate any concerns and challenges in a timely manner.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision yet function collaboratively as a member of a dynamic team.
• Prior experience working in an educational environment with a diverse group of students, educators, staff, and community members.
• Prior experience working in a higher education, student-facing environment.
• Prior experience with creating and managing large datasets using Microsoft Excel
• Prior experience with Microsoft products including Sharepoint, Forms, and Teams.
• Prior experience supporting outreach efforts including open houses, onboarding and welcome events as well as other community building/engagement events.
• Prior experience using Banner, Navigate, and other educational software.
• Prior experience using HokieMart, Ensemble, Canva, and BrightSign.
• Prior experience or operational knowledge of space management including room scheduling and capacity management.
• Working knowledge of various university policies and procedures related to academic programs and student support services.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Joe Morgan at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend