- Carry on the legacy of the Founding Director, the late Professor Judith Lumley whose footprint continues to inform how the Centre operates
- The Centre has an outstanding national and international reputation for conducting and leading impactful research
- Full Time, 5 Year Fixed Term Appointment for a Level E Research Professor / Bundoora Campus
About the position
The Judith Lumley Centre (JLC) is a multidisciplinary public health research centre located in the
School of Nursing and Midwifery at La Trobe University. Established in 1991, the Centre has built a strong program of research addressing issues of major public health importance for women, children and families.
The Director, Judith Lumley Centre, is expected to be an internationally acknowledged research leader in their discipline or professional field with particular expertise in an area of major public health importance for women, children and families. They will lead strategy for the Centre, attract external research funding from grants, contracts and/or consultancies, and conduct, publish and disseminate the highest quality research. They will also foster excellence in research and scholarship through mentoring and supervision within the Centre and the School, and through contributions to relevant national and international external bodies. All Professors are members of the University’s Academic Board and are expected to contribute to the leadership of the University as a whole.
Duties at this level:
- Provide academic leadership to ensure the development and maintenance of a robust research culture in the Centre.
- Play a leading role in mentoring and supporting the research development of all levels of staff within the Centre.
- Conduct research of the highest quality and impact and obtain research funding from grants, contracts and/or consultancies.
- Promote the University and the Centre by participating in appropriate local, national and/or international organisations and events.
Skills and knowledge:
- Completion of a PhD or equivalent accreditation and standing, together with substantial research experience in a discipline relevant to one or more of the Centre’s research areas.
- Outstanding record of external research funding through competitive grants, contracts or consultancies.
- Outstanding record of publications, including papers in top-tier and high-impact journals, with evidence of impact.
- Distinguished record of original, innovative and internationally recognised research, with evidence of impact and significance.
- Demonstrated high level leadership and management experience in leading programs of research and research teams, including financial management.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in bringing together teams across disciplines and institutional structures to advocate for, and advance, major research programs.
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
Welcome to Bundoora campus – Please click on the video link below:
- 17% employer contributed superannuation
- On site child care facilities
- Flexible work arrangements
- Discounts for staff and their family members to study a range of La Trobe courses
How to apply
Closing date: Sunday 25th February, 2024 at 11:55pm
Position Enquiries: Professor Lisa McKenna, Dean, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (03) 9479 5868
Recruitment Enquiries: Vicki Stavrou, Senior Talent Acquisition Business Partner, Email email@example.com, Phone (03) 9479 5191
Position Description below:
PD- Director Judith Lumley Centre.pdf
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up-to-date resume and
- Response to the Key Selection Criteria located in the position description.
Why La Trobe:
- Develop your career at an innovative, global university where you’ll collaborate with community and industry to create impact.
- Enjoy working on our inspiring and stunning campuses – the perfect hub for industry, students and academics
- Help transform the lives of students, partners and communities now and in future
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
We’d love to stay connected! If you would like to find out more about this School, please follow us on LinkedIn:
School of Nursing and Midwifery: https://www.linkedin.com/company/73864260
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
La Trobe University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. We take an intersectional approach by actively supporting and encouraging people of all backgrounds and abilities to submit an application and aim to ensure that the recruitment and employee experience is as accessible and inclusive as possible. Flexibility in interview format will be offered to shortlisted candidates.
La Trobe’s Cultural Qualities: