About the role:
As Public Affairs Specialist you will support our internal and external communications across a number of business functions in the Virgin Australia Group. You will play a key role in proactive PR, supporting our leaders with internal communications, day to day media issues management, and crisis management.
Duties and Accountabilities will include (but not limited to)
- Develop and implement internal and external communication strategies to build the reputation of the Virgin Australia Group across all channels/audiences (media, internal) and work collaboratively with other departments
- Manage internal and external issues critical to reputation for the Group and its leaders, and develop external and internal communications plans to support
- Drive strategic relationships with journalists and editors across the media landscape for the benefit of our public communication, as well as other external influencing bodies
- Write and edit press releases, pitches, speeches, internal notes to staff, briefing notes and related materials
- Shared responsibility for 24/7 media line, including being rostered for “on call” duties and assisting in crises
- Deliver counsel to Senior Leaders on internal and external communication issues
- Assist team members with external or internal events.
The Virgin Australia Group Public Affairs team comprises best in class communications professionals. The team are champions of Virgin Australia Group’s public image in news media, initiators of media and stakeholder communications, and play a key role in providing an organisation-wide understanding of the company’s commercial and strategic aims.
Virgin Australia Group is a major Australian airline group that operates domestic and international passenger services, charter and cargo services, and the award-winning loyalty program Velocity Frequent Flyer. The Group has been a competitor in the Australian aviation landscape for more than 20 years.
2021 is an exciting time for Virgin Australia as our tourism industry begins to recover from the impact of COVID-19. The Group took flight under new ownership last year, with a renewed sense of identity and focus on its mid-market heartland. We are ramping up our flying schedule as border restrictions ease, refreshing our offering to our core customers, and continuing to deliver the uniquely Virgin customer experience Australians know and love.
We’re a winning team and we attract the best: challengers, innovators, and seriously fun individuals with big hearts. At Virgin Australia Group, we pride ourselves on recruiting the right people to join our team and help us rise to the challenges ahead. No matter our role – we are united by our ambition to be the most loved airline in Australia, and always go one step further for our customers, colleagues and our wider community
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years’ experience in Public Relations, Media or similar
- Strong relationships with media
- Experience working in an issues rich, fast paced environment
- Communications degree (or equivalent) favourable
- Agency experience desirable
- Proven commitment to achieving outcomes with excellence and creative flair
- Passionate storyteller across multiple channels
If you've got the skills and experience and you're excited by the challenge and pace of working with our Public Affairs team, please apply via the link. Please note no recruitment agencies at this time.