Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 744812
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Personnel Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Engineering
Civil And Environmental Engineering 10016148
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Engineers/Architects, Research/Scientific, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
A postdoctoral research associate position is available in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (https://www.egr.msu.edu/cee/) at Michigan State University (MSU). The new hire will work on an NSF-funded project on the role of groundwater and irrigation within the Earth system from global to local scales, also considering the social dimensions affecting the interactions between climate hydrology, irrigation, and groundwater. The research associate will be a key member of the project, and work with a trans-disciplinary team including Dr. Yadu Pokhrel from CEE department and Dr. Daniel Kramer from James Madison College at MSU and international consortium team members from France, Japan, and Taiwan. The research associate will have opportunities to closely interact with wide range of stakeholders and collaborators toward developing sustainable solutions for irrigation and groundwater use.
The research associate will particularly coordinate research activities and handle large datasets from multi-scale climate and hydrological modeling and socio-economic survey and analysis. The tasks will include high-resolution hydrological modeling using the Community Land Model version 5 (CLM5) from at multiple scales. There will be a close coordination with the social science team to utilize socio-economic data in driving the model and using outcomes to understand social dimensions of irrigation and groundwater use, and their role in the Earth system. Other tasks include dialogue and coordination with relevant stakeholders toward developing model outcomes useful for the stakeholders.
Dr. Pokhrel will work closely with the research associate in a collaborative lab environment to achieve project goals, while also providing ample opportunities and resources for the research associate to grow professionally and achieve career goals. The appointment will be initially for one year with the possibility of renewal for two additional years based on satisfactory performance and continuation of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
- A PhD degree in Civil & Environmental Engineering or a closely related field.
- Experience in executing numerical experiments using large-scale land surface model, preferably CLM5 (a recent publication to demonstrate this is a plus).
- Ability to handle and process large data on future climate and hydrologic projections.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent programming skills in Fortran and Python and good command in using Linux and parallel computing using high performance computing systems, and ability to develop new codes and integrate those into the existing modeling systems.
- Strong interest in working with a trans-disciplinary team to address socio-economic issues, and to interact with relevant stakeholders.
- Ability to supervise graduate and undergraduate researchers.
Required Application Materials
Applicants are required to submit
- A CV
- Research Statement highlight past experience relevant to the project (2-page maximum)
- Names and contact information for three references
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of applicants will begin on November 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now