Specialist - Advisor-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 798795
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Personnel Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Social Science
Criminal Justice 10038206
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Advising/Counseling, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union, Remote-Friendly
Advise a diverse student population (Undergraduate Level) in the area of enrollment planning, academic probation conferences, major requirements, degree certification, referrals, course approvals, academic orientation. Understanding, interpreting, and implementing academic policies and procedures. Convey and interpret University regulations and courses of study. Interacting effectively with faculty, colleges, and support units. Access, understand and interpret the appropriate technology. Monitor academic progress of advises. Maintain confidential student records. Help students successfully integrate academics, major, and career goals. Co-teach an undergraduate leadership development course. Will be responsible for summer academic orientation programs.
Effective one-on-one communication skills and the ability to interpret and implement academic policies for the benefit of students, enhancing the quality of students’ academic experience through effective communication with individuals and groups from diverse social/economic/cultural backgrounds also required. Candidate must have good interpersonal/organizational skills with the ability to problem solve independently and as a team with the willingness to initiate and carry out solutions.
- To participate in off term and summer academic orientation programs
- To assist with the coordination of Criminal Justice transfer students
- To interpret transfer credits
- To facilitate students' enrollment in courses
- To certify degrees
- To monitor students' academic progress
- To facilitate cooperation between faculty and students to best meet students' and department needs
- Meet with prospective students
- To provide consistent interoffice communication and referrals
- To assure consistent record keeping
- Editing and revising departmental guides and checklists
- Updating advising pages on SCJ website
- Serve as advisor for one of the three School student associations
- Facilitate course scheduling for the unit.
- Complete additional assignments as given by the Director of the School
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Student or Academic Affairs or related field
- Master's degree in related field.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Support for the mission and goals of the college
- Creative insight into meeting students' needs
- Must be technologically competent
- Minimum of two years of advising experience preferred
Required Application Materials
- Letter of interest,
- 3 names of professional references.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of applications will begin on July 28, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now