Mechanical Design Engineer III - Engineering/Physicist Accelerator III
Back to search results
Job no: 914537
Work type: Support Staff
Personnel Sub Area:
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Facility For Rare Isotope Beams
Facility For Rare Isotope Beams 10049299
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Engineers/Architects, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union
Mechanical Design Engineer III
Michigan State University (MSU) operates the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB) as a user facility for the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science (DOE-SC), supporting the mission of the DOE-SC Office of Nuclear Physics. FRIB provides researchers with one of the most advanced tools of modern science to study rare isotopes, or short-lived nuclei not normally found on Earth. Hosting what is designed to be the most powerful heavy-ion accelerator, FRIB enables scientists to make discoveries about the properties of rare isotopes, nuclear astrophysics, fundamental interactions, and applications for society, including in medicine, homeland security, and industry. User facility operation is supported by the DOE-SC Office of Nuclear Physics as one of 28 DOE-SC user facilities. MSU’s nuclear physics graduate program is a top-ranked program nationally, according to U.S. News & World Report.
This position affords an exciting opportunity to become part of the world-class FRIB Laboratory that enables unique discovery opportunities in nuclear science.
Advanced level position designing and engineering innovative technical devices supporting heavy-ion accelerator development and operation.
- Serve as project leader and subject matter expert in reviewing superconducting magnet design layouts, budgets, project documentation, construction, testing, modification of hardware and software, and/or the installation of sub-systems.
- Produce and document effective design solutions by developing concepts, performing engineering calculations, and creating CAD designs/details.
- Present design solutions to stakeholders and convene design reviews to obtain stakeholder feedback and endorsement.
- Development of team members and technical direction to support staff and students.
- Provide scheduling and status reporting.
- Perform calculations and analysis of complex data.
- Provide engineering support for fabrication, assembly, and commissioning of technical equipment.
- Able to make presentation graphics of design and communicate what is needed to advance the design and start construction.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties in this job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Mechanical Engineering Expertise –knowledge and understanding of practices of engineering, and sound judgment regarding their implementation to contribute to organizational performance and success.
- Communication – effectively articulating and exchanging information with stakeholders at all levels—internal and external.
- Service Focus – the ability to identify and meet appropriate client expectations by offering high-quality services and solutions tailored to diverse client and stakeholder needs.
- Analytical Skills – the ability to create, develop, analyze, and promulgate technical and/or technological implications of a mechanical engineering action.
- Collaboration & Teamwork – the ability to work effectively with others.
- Continuous Learning – the ability to maintain continuous improvement.
- Ethical Practice – the ability to support and uphold the values of the organization while balancing and mitigating risk.
- Critical Evaluation – the ability to create, develop, analyze, summarize, and present information to make technical decisions.
- Proficiency with Solidworks and ADEPT.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suites.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Physics; five to eight years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in physics, electronics, mechanical and/or electrical drafting, fabrication techniques, heat transfer, cryogenics and computer systems; and may require experience in the use of CAD and/or related engineering systems, including file transfer; experience in the use of exotic metals, including knowledge of their properties, in the fabrication and assembly of sophisticated research equipment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Mechanical Engineering degree with eight to ten years of experience
- Experience with system-level detailing and checking mechanical drawings for production
- Experience with SolidWorks and PDM Systems
- Experience in the design, fabrication, and complex assembly of superconducting equipment
- Experience in fabrication techniques, cryogenic systems, installation and operations setup, electronics, mechanical and electronic drafting, and computer systems
- Ability to work with export-controlled materials
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Please provide a cover letter, resume and three professional references from your last three employers.
Bidding eligibility ends November 28, 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now