General Summary of Position:
The Department of Accounting at the Robert J. Manning School of Business, University of Massachusetts Lowell invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Accounting position, starting Sept 1, 2023. Applicants must demonstrate an ability to conduct high quality accounting research, and excellence in teaching tax accounting courses at the undergraduate and graduate level. Excellence in teaching financial accounting courses will be helpful as well.
Located 25 miles northwest of Boston, UMass Lowell has over 19,000 students and is one of the largest public universities in New England. The Manning School has over 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students and is accredited by the AACSB-International. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to join a strong department and participate actively in advancing research and educational programs.
The Manning School of Business is growing at a fast pace and is continuously seeking ways to further enhance the faculty’s high level of research productivity. The school is also constantly building and updating instructional programs at all degree levels.
The Department of Accounting offers courses in Undergraduate, MBA, Masters, and Ph.D. programs, and houses faculty with strong scholarly output and interests in areas of Financial Reporting Quality, Corporate Governance, Information Disclosure, Auditing and Audit Quality.
The standard teaching load for research productive faculty is two courses per semester (four per academic year), with the possibility of obtaining a course reduction for publications in top-level journals. The expectation is that the candidate, if hired, will be able to teach tax accounting at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Candidates experienced or interested in teaching upper-level financial accounting courses as well are preferred. The candidate is encouraged to develop productive partnerships with other units of the University, industry and with colleagues from other institutions and countries.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Ph.D. in Accounting from an AACSB-International accredited business school
- Evidence of (or potential for) ongoing high-quality research and publication in the applicant’s areas of scholarly specialization
- A record of (or potential for) teaching effectiveness at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Candidates with industry experience or candidates with recent or current in-field experience, coupled with CPA, CMA, or CIA certification
- Interest in developing new courses, both in-person and on-line
- Willingness to supervise and advise doctoral students
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Initial review of applications will begin on January 15th, 2023 and continue until the position is filled or adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please contact the University of Massachusetts Lowell Human Resources Department at 978-934-3560 for information regarding benefits and related employment matters or if you have any questions about the position.
Please include the following required documents with your application:
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter detailing research interests and accomplishments; teaching interests, experience, and philosophy; and professional background
- Samples of recent publications/works
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., student course evaluations, department Chair reviews, teaching awards)
- Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.