Associate Athletic Director for Business Operations
Job no: 497790
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: Athletics Administration
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
This is a key department of athletics leadership and management position having a strong collaborative responsibility to the Vice President and Director of Athletics. This position will help direct the business and fiscal affairs of the department of athletics, its daily operations, and related personnel. This position provides strategic leadership and vision to support staff operations while setting high standards and ethical business practices. Oversees a large and diverse portfolio including the overall management of the athletic business office which includes all business operations, finance and budgeting, payroll and benefits, risk management, travel, accounts payable, procurement, athletics scholarships and endowments, student-athlete opportunity funds, international student insurance and taxes, computing services, logistics and coordination for post-season football and basketball operations, and third party vendor coordination. Responsible for the preparation and review of the compliance reporting functions of Robert Morris University including annual audits, government reporting, and Athletic and NCAA budgets and reporting. In addition, the position will prepare report grant budgets. Serves as a member of the Athletics Executive Cabinet engaged in strategic planning and resource allocation, and may serve as a sport administrator for designated sports programs. This position reports directly to the Vice President and Director of Athletics and is a standing member of the University’s financial close team and will collaborate on regular financial and reporting requirements. The most qualified candidate will be selected, but the Senior Woman Administrator designation may be granted in addition if appropriate.
- Oversee the daily preparation and reconciliation of operating budgets for each of the department of athletics sport programs and administrative areas. Create monthly financial reports in an accurate and timely manner and clearly communicate monthly financial data to all head coaches and heads of departments. Advise senior staff and head coaches about on-going finance, budget, and business issues, and develop financial models for planning purposes.
- Establish monitoring processes for oversight of spending by sports and administrative units. Works directly with various internal and external constituencies such as coaches, staff, NCAA and Conference officials, third party financial auditors etc. to ensure proper execution of the department’s fiscal goals and expectations.
- Assume responsibility for the annual budgeting of the Athletics area and assist Financial Planning and Analysis team during monthly close process, annual budget process, year-end close and with various analysis for Athletics area given the current landscape of the college level athletics arena.
- Preparation and submission to the University finance department all monthly account reconciliations with respect to athletic accounts.
- Preparation of the monthly student athlete refunds for submission to student financial services.
- Responsible for all financial reporting related to Athletics, including NCAA agreed upon procedures, Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act and any other NCAA or Conference reporting requirements.
- Responsible for creating, monitoring and forecasting all athletic budgets related to revenue. This would include managing all athletic fundraising/revenue, athletic sponsorships, athletics ticket sales, camps, game guarantees, and other revenue sources. Monitor use of restricted athletic gifts.
- Responsible for internal control mechanisms within the business and ticket office. Reviews ticket reconciliation reports for all athletics and/or athletics special events. Work with third party vendor for UPMC Events Center sport event season reconciliation for all revenue and expenses.
- Provide accurate submissions to the University finance department related to all Athletics cash-based transactions, daily deposits and transfer requests.
- Maintain a system for monitoring compliance with all NCAA and Conference regulations. Implement and maintain system for notifying management of any possible areas of noncompliance.
- Provide financial input for the athletic division's strategic planning process. This would include analysis comparing the department of athletics financial information to other comparable schools.
- Oversee the preparation of regular budget analysis and financial reports to track expenditures against plan and provide projections of future revenues and expenses to facilitate management decision making.
- Maintain and ensure the integrity of the department of athletics operating budgets and fiscal plan through the oversight and creation of appropriate financial controls and policies.
- Understand and help ensure compliance with Title IX requirements directly related to the budget.
- Ensure that all financial information is submitted to the University business office for facilitation of internal and external audits.
- Responsible for the oversight of the contract routing and archiving/tracking process, including coordinating the approval process of all athletic department contracts in collaboration and coordination with campus officials/department related to business operations and related areas (procurement, information technology, etc.).
- Oversee all athletic department payroll and vacation tracking, ensuring compliance of policies related to the athletics business office.
- Manage the athletic scholarship and endowment program, international insurance and taxes, and the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund (SAOF).
- Coordinate housing, meal, per diem and student refund requests when necessary in conjunction with residential life, procurement, office of financial aid and financial planning.
- Manage the department of athletics computer, cell phone, and technology programs.
- Communicate issues and trends to the Vice President and Director of Athletics on financial operations. Generates long-term financial projections regarding operating revenues and expenses.
- Act as a liaison for the department of athletics on all fiscal matters. Represent the department of athletics and the Vice President and Director of Athletics at meetings periodically with campus administrators, coaches, staff and other university departments.
- Participate with the Athletics Cabinet to develop the department of athletics strategic plan.
- Represent and be able to make presentations on behalf of the department of athletics and the University to campus, conference, and NCAA committees.
- Oversee and assist in the development of training materials and programs for department staff including presentations, meetings, and FAQs.
- The incumbent will work in a self-supervisory nature and provide leadership to the athletics business office staff as well as provides assigned sports supervision, as requested.
- Must be available by phone and email after typical business hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration required.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible professional experience in the area of financial management, accounting, and/or budgeting.
- Three or more years of experience effectively managing professional and support staff.
- Two (2) or more years’ experience working in intercollegiate athletics, particularly in budget planning and administration.
- Higher education or not for profit industry and/or public accounting preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines.
- Experience with application of accounting principles and knowledge of building a budget and budget review.
- Demonstrated successful experience in accounting and financial/budget management and in managing and tracking multi-fund budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze a variety of numerical data sets (e.g. revenue and expense reports, workforce/salary reports, and budgets).
- Demonstrated skill in the research, development, and evaluation of policies and procedures related to fiscal administration.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret, organize, and present financial information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse organization.
- Ability to effectively use common computer application programs and related computer software packages (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, database, internet).
- Ability to anticipate and handle last minute concerns.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgement.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to inclusion and diversity including but not limited to differences in ethnicity, national origin, race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification and ability. Knowledge of NCAA policies, practices and financial accounting and reporting requirements.
- CPA or MBA preferred.
Act 153 Clearance Required: Yes
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check: Yes
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend