Department of Human Communication Studies
College of Communications
The Department of Human Communication Studies in the College of Communications at California State University, Fullerton invites applications for a tenure-track, assistant professor position in Health Communication beginning in August 2021.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution, and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars. They teach broadly in the curricula of their departments, advise students, and serve on departmental and university-wide committees. The position typically carries a 4/4 teaching load and will include teaching a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses in health communication and within the department’s core curriculum. This person will also be responsible for producing scholarship commensurate with the requirements for tenure. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities.
- Ph.D. in Communication Studies or a relevant field by August 2021 is required. ABDs may apply but must show evidence the degree will be completed by August 2021
- Demonstrated strong potential for excellence in teaching ability
- Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in the department’s core curriculum and health communication
- Evidence of strong potential for effectiveness in research leading to scholarly publications
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, administration, and community
- Experience teaching or demonstrated strong potential for excellence in teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in health communication (including but not limited to, for example, courses in organizational health communication, health and diversity, cultural conceptions of health and illness, or health campaigns)
- Experience teaching or demonstrated strong potential for excellence in teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in the department’s core curriculum (including but not limited to, for example, courses in communication theory and research methods)
- Willingness to develop new curriculum
- Ability to engage students through the use of innovative teaching practices and teach students from diverse backgrounds
- Ability and motivation to foreground issues related to diversity into the curriculum
- Strong potential to recruit new majors
- Track record of publishing in nationally recognized peer-reviewed journals
- Experience in securing or potential to secure external grants
Rank and Salary
This is a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Additional teaching in summer and intersession is potentially available but cannot be guaranteed. An excellent and comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health, vision and dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waivers; access to the campus child-care center; and a defined-benefit retirement plan provided through the state system, along with optional tax-shelter opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to: https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/benefits/.
Appointment Date: August 2021
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php to view all job listings and select 497913 to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- cover letter
- curriculum vita
- unofficial graduate transcripts
- one writing sample
- teaching portfolio (submitted as a single pdf) that evidences teaching effectiveness, including teaching philosophy, sample syllabi/materials, and evaluations (e.g., ratings, peer reviews)
- Candidate Statement on Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
- Please provide your unique perspective on past and present contributions to promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in your professional career, including your aspirations to support CSUF’s diverse student and surrounding community populations. Please discuss how you have addressed diversity in your teaching, research, and/or service, such that the committee is able to assess your ability to contribute to our campus in these areas.
- A list of three references with relevant contact information
- On the references page of the online application, enter information for three referents who may be contacted via phone and who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application, should you move ahead in the application process. Finalists will be asked to submit three letters of recommendation. Please ask referents to have these ready to submit should you move forward to this phase of the search. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For further information, please contact Dr. Summer Martin, Search Committee Chair, by email at email@example.com or call 657-278-4197.
Review of applications begins immediately. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 23, 2020. Position is open until filled.
California State University, Fullerton, is the second largest university in California serving southern California and especially Orange County. It is the largest of the 23 California State University (CSU) campuses. The CSU system is the largest and most diverse university system in the country and one of the most affordable. CSUF is the only four-year public Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) in Orange County and an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. It ranks fourth and eighth nationally in the number of baccalaureate degrees awarded to Hispanics and minority students, respectively. CSUF is a student-centered teaching institution located in the heart of beautiful Orange County, California, near beaches, mountains, and the vibrant culture of Los Angeles. The average temperature is 70 degrees and the sun shines over 300 days a year. For more information about University, please visit: http://www.fullerton.edu/
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. California State University Fullerton is an Equal Opportunity/Title IX/503/504/VEVRA/ADA Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php)