These positions are open until filled. Interested applicants may submit materials to the Office of Graduate Studies and Human Resources at any time. For full consideration the application packet should be submitted online to both offices. If an applicant’s skills and expertise match a current opening s/he will be invited to interview for that position.
ABOUT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY (Cal Maritime): Located on a compact but scenic waterfront campus in Vallejo, California (30 miles northeast of San Francisco), California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) is a unique and specialized campus of the 23-campus system. Serving a population of approximately 1100 undergraduate and 50 graduate students, we are one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States — and the only one on the West Coast.
Cal Maritime offers seven baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Marine Transportation and Oceanography. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree. Please visit our website for more information about California State University Maritime Academy .
Our programs focus on intellectual learning, applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness. Cal Maritime students participate in training cruises aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear or other international educational experiences - gaining a unique perspective on our increasingly global culture and economy. Cal Maritime is committed to being a leading educational institution recognized for excellence in the business, engineering, operations, security, and policy of the transportation industries of the Pacific Rim and beyond. We are equally committed to hiring and retaining diverse and dedicated faculty and staff who lead the way in helping our students expand their knowledge and potential.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Master’s Degree program was developed by university faculty in conjunction with industry leaders and places a high value on the integration of theory and practice. Designed to meet the personal and professional needs of mid- level managers it is offered completely online and is accessible to students 24/7 365 days. Successful applicants will possess a clear understanding of adult learning styles and will be able to establish professional and collegial online learning environments for students. Instructors will be able to organize courses that are rigorous, laying out clear timelines and expectations and providing consistent and frequent feedback to students. In addition to teaching the instructor will be expected to provide the university with learning outcomes assessment data from the course. The incumbent must be familiar with online learning systems and techniques and be able to employ these to deliver outstanding instruction.
Sections of the following courses continue to be formed and the Office of Graduate Studies continually seeks outstanding candidates in the following content areas. For further information regarding these courses please peruse the Graduate Program web page at http://www.csum.edu/web/industry/graduate-studies
- TEM 500: Project Management
- TEM 510: International Transportation Economics
- TEM 520: Organizational Behavior and Management
- TEM 530: Financial Management
- TEM 540: Information Systems Management
- TEM 600: Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- TEM 610: International Transportation Law
- TEM 620: International Trade and Finance
- TEM 630: Port and Terminal Management
- TEM 700: Systems Engineering Management
- TEM 705: Strategic Management
- TEM 710: Technology Management
- TEM 720: Energy Resource Management
- TEM 800: The Global Humanitarian System
- TEM 810: Rapid and Slow Onset Disaster Management
- TEM 820: Humanitarian Project Management
- TEM 830: National & International Humanitarian Logistics
- Advanced degree in management, engineering management, transportation, humanitarian logistic or related field
- Pedagogical versatility with demonstrated ability in the use of teaching techniques that ensure both student engagement and active learning
- Strong Communication skills
- Professional experience in international business and logistics as applied to the maritime domain, including but not limited to, senior managerial positions in a maritime-related corporation, or senior academic positions dealing with maritime business issues is preferred
- Experience in distance education and familiarity with communicating effectively in an online environment
SALARY COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with the education, qualifications, and experience of the individual.
BENEFITS: These positions are adjunct teaching positions. They do not lead to tenure or imply ongoing teaching rights. The contract is for a single course offering and does not carry any extended benefits.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Courses are delivered in a fully online format. Faculty members must have access to a computer and the Internet. Applicants should have expertise in using MS Office software and familiarity with various courseware delivery systems. Cal Maritime uses a host of systems with the backbone being Brightspace. Instructors are required to post an introductory video of themselves to their students online.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK:
- Applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days from the date of hire.
- A background check investigation (including criminal records check) is required prior to employment. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of a current CSU employees who was conditionally offered the position.
- Applicants must submit on hire official documentation as proof of degree, license, or certificates as required.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application packet of information requested below. Apply on-line through our Cal Maritime Faculty Careers Opportunities website. Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified of interview appointments by telephone.
1. Cal Maritime on-line Employment Application (required)
2. Letter of interest (including availability and preferred employment dates)
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Copy of appropriate license
5.Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check and fingerprinting) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
NOTIFICATION: Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants not selected for an interview will be notified only after the position closes and the successful candidate has been selected.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at on the CSU Title IX website.
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.
DISCLAIMER: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or