Job no: 526821
Work type: Staff
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Administrative, Compliance/Legal, Custodial/Facilities, Finance/Accounting, Health Professionals, Temporary, Part Time, Marketing/Communications, Research, Student Services, Telecommute eligible (work onsite as scheduled and/or as requested and telecommute as scheduled)
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Laboratory Technician engages in human genomics research, and is primarily responsible for supporting faculty, keeping all experiments running in the research lab, and training students (research assistants). The incumbent performs comprehensive support services and assists with performing genomics and molecular biology experiments, including isolating peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from blood samples, processing samples for scRNAseq, extracting DNA from samples (mostly buccal swab); run Bioanalyzer/TapeStation, building NGS genomic libraries (DNA and RNA sequencing), etc. Additional duties are as follows:
- Manages lab ordering, invoicing, budgeting, record keeping, and generating quotes, and oversees sample storage to make sure they are properly stored.
- Assists in maintaining regulatory compliance, manages equipment maintenance (i.e., request repair or calibration when needed), maintains lab inventory (reagents, consumables), and places purchase orders when needed.
- Trains new undergraduate and graduate students in the lab (1-4 students per year), and assists with scheduling.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://rb.gy/xn4uw
- Equivalent to three (3) years of full-time experience as a Lab Technician or Research Assistant in a genetics, molecular biology, genomics lab, or a related unit or discipline.
- Equivalent to an Associate’s degree with 16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment and in a related discipline may be substituted for one year of the required experience; OR equivalent to Bachelor’s degree with 16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment and in a related discipline may be substituted for two years of the required experience.
- Experience with Excel and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library preparation is highly preferred. Experience with single-cell RNA sequencing (scRNAseq) and phlebotomy is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of: the principles of performing support services; the principles, methods, and techniques related to the discipline; the materials and supplies related to the discipline.
- Ability and specialized skills to: plan, organize, and schedule activities; operate technical equipment related to the discipline; maintain records; ability to adjust and perform simple maintenance of technical and scientific equipment; work independently and as part of a team under general supervision.
- Ability to: work effectively and sensitively with culturally diverse constituencies; organize activities to achieve an end in a timely manner; work with attention to detail and exercise good judgment; recognize and solve problems; read, understand, interpret, and implement technical riders and other written documents; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; provide good customer service; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
- The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
- Classification/grade: 1617 / Instructional Support Tech II / 1
- The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $3135 - $3750 (PTE) per month, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range for this classification is: $3135 - $5440 (PTE) per month.
- HOURS: Part Time; 30 hours per week; Monday through Friday, with flexibility for 20-40 hours per week.
- TEMP: This is a Temporary-renewable position, end date to be determined.
- The position is currently hybrid (4 days in office, 1 days remote); however, this is subject to change based on laboratory and/or operational needs.
- Applications received through August 7, 2023, will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
- This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
- Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
- The CSU recommends that faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location be immunized against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend