Cloud Systems Administrator
Job no: 533117
Work type: Staff
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Probationary, Full Time, Information Systems & Technology, Telecommute eligible (work onsite as scheduled and/or as requested and telecommute as scheduled)
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under the general supervision of the Cloud Solutions Architect Lead, the Cloud Systems Administrator is responsible for the daily operations of all aspects of Enterprise Compute in a hybrid cloud/on-prem infrastructure. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining these environments both on premises and in the public cloud (AWS, Azure, Google & others as they are utilized) and supporting the underlying Linux servers (physical/virtual), server virtualization and directory services.
- Responsible for the deployment, maintenance, and operational sustainment of services, applications, and workloads within a hybrid multi-site datacenter and automating deployment of elastic, highly available and fault tolerant systems within the cloud computing environment.
- Responsible for adhering to DevSecOps principles using CI/CD pipeline with GitHub Actions for infrastructure deployment and identifying appropriate use of cloud operational best practices.
- Responsible for estimating cloud costs and identifying operational cost control mechanisms; strategically migrating on-premises services, leveraging native cloud services and technologies; identifying and mitigating threats to security posture of the computing infrastructure; and collection of data and reports to drive decision making.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://mycsun.box.com/s/nuzbdp239hvfzfetsd2ybc055ypgwb6q
- Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university in a job-related field.
- Qualifying technical training and applied experience may be substituted for required education, on a year-for-year basis.
- Three years of full-time, progressive field-related experience. Experience in interacting and maintaining a hybrid cloud computing environment with public cloud partners such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, OpenStack, or equivalent, is desired. Including one to two years of progressively responsible experience that includes administration of Linux servers, hardware, and software including system configuration, installation, maintenance, evaluation, deployment, and system development.
- Experience with operating within a Unix or Linux environment, including configuring, information gathering, and managing services via command line interfaces is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability in automating tasks using a script or interpreted language such as bash, PowerShell, Perl, Python, or Java, and automation frameworks like Ansible, Vagrant, and Packer, preferred.
- Ability in using any of AWS CloudFormation and/or Terraform to automate deployment of cloud resources, also preferred.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks with varying priority levels and changing requirements. Ability to work cooperatively with team members. Skilled in writing concise, logical, and easy-to-understand system documentation. Ability to record moderate to heavy levels of technical detail in an organized and reader-friendly fashion.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to interact effectively and appropriately with fellow colleagues and campus faculty, staff, and administrators in varying types of circumstances.
- Exposure to DevSecOps principles using CI/CD pipeline with GitHub Actions, Jenkins, or other workflow automation tools for infrastructure deployment, preferred. Knowledge of using Git for code versioning, preferred. Exposure to monitoring and analytic tools such as Splunk, SolarWinds, Nagios, Zenoss, Oracle Enterprise Manager and/or CloudWatch, preferred.
- Knowledge of any of the following: SAML, LDAP, Apache, nginx, Ansible, PostGreSQL, json, yaml, preferred.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
- The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
- Classification / grade: 0410 / Operating Sys Analyst / 2
- The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $4678 - $8500 per month, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range for this classification is: $4678 - $11,547 per month.
- HOURS: Full Time; 40 hours per week; Monday through Friday; may include evenings and weekends.
- REG: This is a Regular position with a one-year probationary period.
- The position is currently hybrid (3 days in office, 2 days remote); however, this is subject to change based on student and/or operational needs.
- Applications received through December 5, 2023, will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
- This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
- Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
- The CSU recommends that faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location be immunized against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, covered military and veteran status, and disability. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend