Symal Infrastructure (formerly Civilex) is the Symal Group’s infrastructure division. As a self-performing contractor, our reputation for delivering quality infrastructure outcomes, across diverse sectors, lays the foundation for success.
The objective of an Estimator is to perform estimating, administration, and coordination functions of the Estimating department efficiently and profitably.
Responsibilities of the role include:
Tender preparation and submission:
- Review complete tender documents provided.
- Quantity take-off and prepare bill of quantities as required.
- Attend all required site inspections during the tender process.
- Request for quotation from suppliers and subcontractors and provide detailed scopes to suppliers and subcontractors to ensure accurate quotes are provided.
- Request for information to clarify tender uncertainties.
- Seek best value delivery methodology to gain competitive advantage over competitors.
- Prepare detailed estimate within Symal Infrastructure estimating systems.
- Prepare detailed staging / traffic management plans.
- Prepare detailed construction methodology.
- Identify all known or assumed risks and opportunities including but not limited to risks associated with scope, documentation, specification, safety, program, quality, environmental, material conformance, community, and stakeholders.
- Identify and provide innovative solutions to tenders.
- File all subcontractors and supplier’s quotations as per the Symal Infrastructure filing systems.
- Complete submissions including tender schedules.
- Prepare and participate in tender reviews with all required stakeholders.
- Tender administration including estimating document control and filing.
- Source new subcontractors and suppliers and record details in the Symal Infrastructure systems.
- Prepare Expression of Interest submissions as required.
- Prepare detailed works programs as required.
- Work with the Pre Contracts Coordinator to develop and deliver high-quality tender submissions.
Accuracy of Tender:
- Perform accurate quantity take-off on Symal Infrastructure quantity take-off software (2D & 3D).
- Prepare and develop accurate construction methodologies.
- Complete accurate drainage take-off sheet.
- Completeness of the estimator worksheets.
- Complete price comparison sheet for all prices received from suppliers and subcontractors.
- Complete vetting of tenders / quotations received from suppliers and subcontractors.
- Tender vetting and sanity checks at completion of estimate and prior to tender reviews.
- Accurately perform estimate adjustments identified and documented during the tender review process.
- Assess, identify, mitigate, and reduce risk exposure for Symal Infrastructure.
- Review of contract documentation to understand scope and liaise with the Commercial Manager regarding contract risks and introduce contract departures.
- Attend post construction project reviews and reflect on deviations between construction and estimate.
Post tender duties:
- Attend or communicate post tender negotiation with the Client.
- Attend pretender interview meeting as required and brief all Symal Infrastructure interview attendees
- Prepare, attend, and present at tender interviews.
- Complete the project handover documentation and setup project budget and associated documents to allow commencement of project
- Fill out project summary sheet / project start up forms.
- File tender document as per the Symal Infrastructure Systems.
- Respond to post tender clarifications as required.
- Seek client feedback – tender brief and or debrief.
- Preparation, attend, and chair the tender handover to the construction team.
- Ensure all crucial and relevant information is delivered to the project team.
Utilisation of the estimating system:
- Utilise Estimators worksheet for all tenders.
- Update tender summary after each tender.
- Update suppliers and subcontractors list.
- Drive continual improvement on the estimating system.
To be successful in this role, you must have;
- Minimum 4 years relevant experience in estimating and or construction management
- Experience estimating / tendering projects in excess of $5 million dollars
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills