Symal Infrastructure (formerly Civilex) is the Symal Group’s infrastructure division. As a self-performing contractor, our reputation for delivering quality infrastructure outcomes, across diverse sectors, lays the foundation for success.
We are currently looking for two experienced Contracts Administrators to join our Infrastructure team.
The objective of a Contracts Administrator is to maximise procurement savings across the Company whilst ensuring the Symal Infrastructure procurement system is maintained to protect Symal Infrastructure’s interests.
Responsibilities of the role include:
Operational contract support (including drafting and issuing of project correspondence): assist in preparing a range of contractual correspondence across a range of civil and construction projects, including drafting project correspondence upstream to the Client, and downstream to subcontractors.
- Interpret and explain contract requirements, and terms and conditions to stakeholders to support compliance
- Ensure all relevant head contract and subcontract contractual rights, obligations and procedures are followed during the life cycle of the relevant project to ensure the relevant project is delivered on time and on budget and to the Client’s expectations
- Ensure contractual obligations of both the relevant client and subcontractors are met
- Ensure correspondence is prepared and issued in accordance with the timeframes set in the applicable contract in collaboration with project management, the Commercial and Legal Manager, and others as required
- Liaise with the Client, or the Client’s representative, to assess and obtain approval variations and extensions of time
- Under the direction of the Project Manager, prepare, and issue project reports
- Assist in the preparation of project management plans as required
- Assist the Commercial and Legal Manager with preparing various project commercial roadmaps for the projects identifying risks and drafting proforma correspondence
Drafting and issuing of legal documents: assist in the preparation of a range of legal documents, including assisting with drafting subcontract terms and conditions, project correspondence, project commercial roadmaps, and preparing training sessions for Symal Infrastructure staff.
- Review legal documents once prepared by project teams to ensure they are accurate
- Assist in preparing and coordinating precedent standard form contract documents including ensuring standard form documentation is kept up to date in line with new / amended laws. Documents must be reviewed and approved by the Commercial and Legal Manager.
- Assist in preparing legal correspondence for project teams with respect to subcontract back end issues
- Assist in preparing project commercial road maps setting out the commercial and legal obligations in Symal Infrastructure executed contracts
- Be responsible for reviewing and issuing subcontract documents
- Be responsible for reviewing and advising on subcontract amendments from Symal Infrastructure’s subcontractors and suppliers
- Formulate special conditions of subcontract to ensure subcontracts have back-to-back obligations from head contract
- Be responsible for the review of credit applications for approval from the Commercial and Legal Manager and maintain an accurate register of credit applications.
Contractual claims management: coordinate and prepare various head contract and subcontract contractual claims as required for various projects from time-to-time.
- Assist in the identification and management of the contractual claims process for various projects including being based on a project for a period of time to assist in preparing and managing the claims process (as needed from time-to-time)
- Determine relevant steps required, pursuant to the terms of the relevant head contract, to establish a claim for additional time and / or money including meeting with relevant internal stakeholders to establish the facts and basis of the claim
- Under the direction of the Commercial and Legal Manager and Project Manager, be responsible for and prepare claims under the relevant contract for variations or extensions of time (pursuant to the terms of the relevant contract) including:
- Interpreting the contractual requirements
- Establishing a basis for the claim
- Setting out facts supporting the claim
- Liaising with relevant parties and extracting required information in support of claims
- Collating required information
- Assessing critical path (if required)
- Quantification of the claim
- The Contracts Administrator will:
- Manage subcontractors’ contractual claims
- Handle / Address disagreements with subcontractors in collaboration with project management, the Commercial and Legal Manager and others as required
- Assist with the close out of subcontracts.
Subcontracting: coordinate and procure key subcontractors across multiple projects.
- Assist in the identification and engagement of subcontractors, suppliers, and consultants (herein referred to as ‘subcontractors’) when letting new packages for projects
- Determine subcontract requirements and prepare and issue tender documents, tender interviews, and recommendation and selection of subcontractors. The Contracts Administrator must also ensure that all subcontractors enter into formal contracts in line with Symal Infrastructure’s contract policy.
- Establish and maintain stakeholder and supplier relationships to identify and minimise risk and maximise the value from the contract.
Maintaining company contract registers: manage the Company’s contract registers ensuring all executed agreements are saved and filed in line with the execution of contracts policy and procedure.
- Be responsible for maintaining the Company contract registers including completing the following tasks:
- Assign the legally binding document a unique document number which is derived from the contract register
- Obtain Project Manager and / or Department Manager and Director approval by way of signing the review and execution form
- Scan the executed document and save the document in the contract register library and in the project management drive.
To be successful in this role, you must have;
- Relevant bachelor’s degree from an approved Australian Tertiary Education Provider
- Experience in the construction sector (civil is preferred but not essential)
- Understanding of general construction law principles
- Knowledge of Jobpac is preferred, but not essential
- Time management and administration skills are essential
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills
You will be part of a fun, supportive and busy team where no two days will be the same. You'll have the opportunity to work across a range of exciting projects supporting a range of Project Managers with endless learning opportunities made available to you!
If you can demonstrate your ability to undertake the above responsibilities we want to hear from you!
Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.