Wamarra is a self-performing contractor, providing meaningful careers to Aboriginal people through long term and sustainable employment.
We are an Aboriginal owned and operated Victorian-based civil contractor, aligning with construction company Symal Group to learn from and utilise the company’s diverse resources to deliver quality project outcomes in any construction environment
Responsibilities of the role include:
Commercial: maximise profitability of projects and ensure projects are delivered in accordance with contractual, program, and commercial requirements.
- Undertake monthly project reviews of all projects with project leads
- Review and collate company cash flow of all projects under your control
- Present a consolidated monthly report to the Operations Manager covering project positions, contract valuations, cash flow, and commercial risk and opportunity
- Review and procure major packages with the project team when outside their limit of authority
- Review and train project leads in the preparation of contract notices including but not limited to variations, extension of time, and contractual claims
- In conjunction with project leads, undertake all dispute resolutions of a contractual nature
- Audit cost forecasting as required on all projects, but at least once on each project, and at least quarterly on projects that go longer than three months
- Manage significant subcontractor disputes
- Work with the General Manager to produce budgets for the Construction department
- Ensure all procurement is delivered in accordance with the Wamarra procurement procedure
- Ensure commercial risks and opportunities are identified and managed
- Ensure variations are maximised
- Review contractual programs and ensure the project team identify all claimable events in accordance with the contract
- With regard to the projects under your control, lead the construction team in meeting the Company’s finance requirements as required and collaborate with relevant stakeholders as required ensuring:
- Certifications are being received in accordance with contract requirements
- The on hold report is being monitored and continuously closed out
- Timely return of security from projects
- Maintain overall company risk register on a monthly basis all risks generated by the division that are relevant to the Board.
- Project performance across the Construction Manager’s projects greater than the tendered margin is maintained
- All monthly reports are completed in accordance with the monthly calendar
- Projects are limiting any work on unsecured revenue
- Commercial risks are minimised across the Company
Client relationship: build strong client relationships that position Wamarra for repeat work.
- Establish client drivers and put processes in place with the project team as to how we are going to meet these expectations
- Communicate to the project team the strategic purpose of project selection and how they are to conduct themselves to meet the Company’s objectives
- Be the point of contact for all matters that need to be elevated above the project team
- Ensure the Client’s expectations are met regarding the level of project management but also senior management on the project
- Ensure the project team meet the Client’s expectations in regard to their systems, processes, and reporting
- Work with clients to maintain industrial relation requirements of the project including working through code compliance issues
- Work with business development to build relationships with the Clients that can trigger repeat work
OHS&E: manage site safety and environmental compliance on all projects
- Ensure delivery of projects safely in accordance with the Client’s systems and the Wamarra safety program
- Demonstrate leadership in safety by being actively involved in high risk works and give support to the project team in developing safe work practices and controls
- Be a point of signoff for dispensation to work outside Wamarra’s systems
- Undertake leadership safety walks on at least one project fortnightly (where possible this is to be undertaken with the Client)
- Be involved in incident response particularly with engagement with clients
- Be actively involved in the rollout of new initiatives
Engineering team recruitment development and retention: it is a key requirement of a Construction Manager to develop the Wamarra project team around them and hold them accountable to meet their requirements.
- Resource project teams adequately with sufficient engineering resources to get an optimal outcome for Wamarra
- Ensure adequate guidance is given in the development of project teams. Work with project leads to construct a project organisation chart and establish roles and responsibilities across all construction teams.
- Manage and train Site Engineer’s, Project Engineer’s, Senior Project Engineer’s, and Project Manager’s in all their responsibilities as per their position descriptions
- Lead all Senior Project Engineer and Project Manager performance reviews under your management
- Give guidance to all project staff including site staff
- Ensure Wamarra processes are standardised across all projects
- Set clear roles and responsibilities for your project teams outlining not just the deliverables, but timeframes and the method in which you want tasks delivered
- Undertake performance management process with engineering staff when required
- Undertake approved external development at least on an annual basis
- Keep up to date all minimum level training competencies. Manage training matrix across the engineering team in line with performance reviews and company established budgets
- Recruit engineering staff to meet Wamarra requirements
To be successful in this role, you must have;
- A proven track record in delivering projects and leading teams with a successful outcome regarding the above KRAs
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Approximately 10 years relevant construction experience
- Experience in delivering relevant projects greater than $5 million
- Current Victorian Drivers Licence
- A prerequisite requirement of a Construction Manager is that they understand and can complete all the requirements of the Site Engineer, Project Engineer, Senior Project Engineer and Project Manager position.
- Have a sound understanding of relevant legislation including EBA’s and Awards
- Have a sound understanding of typical forms of contract used in construction including, but not limited to, AS2124, AS4000, PC 1-1998, and VicRoads standard form of contract
- Have a sound understanding of typical construction specifications used in the Victorian construction industry including but not limited to VicRoads specification
- Knowledge of Expert Estimation preferred but not essential
- Knowledge of Jobpac preferred but not essential
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing teams
You will be involved in pre-contracts, business development, high level project management and the development of your team. This will be an opportunity to step into a senior role with the support of our executive leadership team to grow and expand the business.
The ideal candidate will also be someone with a strong social conscience and a passion for creating meaningful careers to Aboriginal people.
If this sounds like your ideal role, we want to hear from you!
Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.