- Based at our Burwood Campus
- Full time and Continuing
- Level E $189,301 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Professor will be responsible for providing outstanding leadership in research, teaching and engagement in the area of Software Engineering. The appointee will promote the Software Engineering discipline and the School of Information Technology, providing leadership within the academic and professional communities in Australia and internationally. The appointee will contribute to leadership of the School’s teaching, research, and industry engagement program development and service at national and international levels.
Your key responsibilities will include the requirement to:
- Maintain deep discipline knowledge which is applied to inform unit design in the area of Software Engineering
- Continually seek to improve academic standards and make a distinguished contribution to teaching and educational innovation in the University
- Provide leadership in curriculum development, course design, and innovation in teaching, including the provision of feedback and more general mentoring, taking account of national and international developments
- Guide and assist less experienced colleagues to develop their teaching capacity and more generally in developing the careers of junior staff
- Lead teaching teams to develop effective unit curricula and learning resources (including through unit and course leadership roles) which influence teaching across their discipline and the School
- Lead and develop productive, high-quality research teams to undertake significant research programs, scholarship and creative activities generating high impact outputs in the area of Software Engineering
- Provide leadership in their discipline, fostering the research, scholarship and innovation of other individuals and groups within their School, Strategic Research Centre (SRC) or Institute, their discipline, and related disciplines
- Develop and lead academic or other collaborations that enable novel research or creative activities recognised nationally and internationally
- Widely communicate outputs to discipline(s), other sectors and the community, including nationally and internationally
To be successful, you’ll have:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline and/or other relevant qualifications and experience
- A distinguished record of scholarly learning and teaching in UG and/or PG programs, including innovative curriculum design
- An internationally recognised research reputation underpinned by publications in high quality journals and conferences
- Success in obtaining and timely completion of competitive external research grants
- Successful engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the national and international standing of the discipline
- Demonstrated success and passion for leadership of teaching, research and/or administration
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD-Professor Software Engineering.pdf
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria by 28 June 2022
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact John Yearwood, Head of School on firstname.lastname@example.org
Offers of employment from Deakin University are conditional upon the applicant being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory evidence of the same. You can view a copy of the University’s COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.