Under the general direction of the Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) Medical Director, the SHaW Physician provides patient-centered medical care for all eligible students at the University of Connecticut. This position provides clinical care in an ambulatory care environment delivered with a focus on public health equity, advocating for improved access, quality, and cost-effective care. This position provides professional clinical medical services, including acute episodic illness and/or injury, chronic disease management, and health maintenance.
SHaW is committed to diversity and inclusion, competence in working with culturally and ethnically diverse populations, and awareness of how issues of difference, power, and privilege manifest in higher education environments. The ideal candidate promotes health equity and reduces health disparities by demonstrating and supporting an understanding, sensitivity, and appreciation for health equity, social justice, cultural humility, and inclusiveness.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the direction of the Medical Director, this position functions independently within the scope of departmental and institutional policies and procedures.
- Provides and oversees medical care for all eligible students at the University of Connecticut.
- Provides primary medical care for undergraduate and graduate students and promotes the health and safety of the student population. Provides emergency medical services, as needed.
- Conducts comprehensive health assessments of patients to diagnose and treat potential, acute, and/or chronic health problems and medical/psychiatric risk factors.
- Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with AAAHC (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care) standards.
- Orders, performs, and interprets medical tests. Refers patients to specialty care, as needed.
- Admits to the inpatient unit, directing patient care from admission through discharge.
- Educates and instructs patients on preventive care, medical/psychiatric issues, and the use of prescribed medical treatments and/or prescriptive medications.
- Collaborates with nurse practitioners. Mentors medical students and conducts quality improvement initiatives, including peer review.
- Manages public health issues affecting the student population. Collaborates with the local health department.
- Participates in continuing medical education activities both within and outside Student Health and Wellness, including health promotion and outreach activities.
- Participates in ongoing review and revision of standard guidelines used in clinical practice.
- Serves on multiple committees within Student Health and Wellness.
- Presents and participates in regional and national professional organizations.
- Performs related work as required.
- Doctoral degree in a related field
- Two to three years of related experience
- Current medical license or license-eligible in the State of Connecticut
- Current or eligible unrestricted Controlled Substance Registration by both the State of Connecticut and Federal DEA
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of and stated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity issues
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine
- College health experience
- Experience in integrating diversity, inclusion, and equity principles in clinical practice and outreach
This is a full-time position with a full range of state health and retirement benefits. This is a permanent full-time year-round position (12 months) but can accommodate reduced weekly hours or up to 2 months of paid summer leave (work 10 months per academic year).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496847 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. In addition, we request that you upload a separate diversity statement indicating your experience with and commitment to diverse populations of students.
Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) is expanding services and is currently hiring for a variety of positions related to students’ mental health and wellness. SHaW encourages qualified applicants to apply for multiple positions of interest.
This search will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.