Business Operations Specialist 1
Search #: 497239
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Administrative Services
The College of Agriculture, Health, and Natural Resources (CAHNR) at the University of Connecticut is seeking applicants for a full-time Business Operations Specialist 1 position. Under the direction of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Programs/Associate Director of Storrs Agricultural Experiment Station (SAES), the incumbent will independently perform a variety of administrative and analytical duties to support CAHNR’s research administration and graduate education mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as college liaison to USDA-NIFA to coordinate, administer, and manage federal Capacity grants, including the communication of USDA project approvals. Provides project notifications to USDA-NIFA, including changes to the following: project scope, key personnel, performance objectives, timeline and expenses, and ensures timely submission of all required documentation and reports to the NIFA Reporting System. This requires the incumbent to work closely with college faculty, business office staff, UConn Sponsored Programs, and the USDA.
- Collaborate with the college business office in award establishment and management. Budget funded projects, monitor award spending, and track project progress, to ensure compliance with program requirements and federal regulations.
- Assist the Associate Dean in administering the college Capacity grant competition, the CAHNR Annual Major Equipment Grant, the Diversity Enhancing Graduate Assistantship competition, Early Career Faculty Mentor Shadowing Grant, and other programs designed to enhance faculty research. This includes planning, coordination, and execution of the grant review process for each program.
- Collaborate with CAHNR Office of Extension and with CT Agricultural Experiment Station (CAES) in preparing and submitting the five-year Plan of Work (POW) project. This includes the preparation of annual reports and related materials, as well as attendance at the POW conference.
- Attend regional and national USDA research administration-related meetings and other conference trainings related to research administration.
- Assist the Associate Dean in organizing CAHNR Research Advisory Committee meetings, Department Graduate Committee Chair/Co-coordinator meetings, CAHNR Graduate Council meetings, CAHNR Graduate Research Forum, and other professional/career development activities for graduate students.
- Assist the Associate Dean in monitoring and assigning laboratory space, and in maintaining and servicing shared equipment in the ABL and ATL buildings.
- Serve as contact with UConn Facilities for ABL and ATL building repairs and work orders.
- Receive shipments from third-party contractors.
- Monitor CAHNR Office of Research budget, maintain and monitor fiscal ledgers, and keep the Associate Dean apprised on account balances, including those in Capacity funds and Research office Indirect Cost Returns.
- Serve as purchasing support for the CAHNR Office of Research.
- Research, analyze, and prepare reports, presentations, correspondence, and other relevant data for various uses.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business or related field.
- Two to three years of experience in grant/research administration or related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of budget development and monitoring.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with individuals of diverse cultural, social, and educational backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in providing organizational support in a team environment.
- Clear, positive, and professional written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills.
- Master’s degree in a business or related field.
- Work experience in an academic or university setting.
- Four years of grant, research administration, or related experience.
- Ability to interpret complex records, assemble, and organize data from a variety of sources, and prepare related reports.
- Experience working with UConn administrative systems including KFS (Kuali Financial Systems), Huskybuy, Concur, or similar.
- Ability to create figures and other graphical representations of data and analysis.
- Knowledge of College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources programs or related Agricultural programs.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #497239 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend