Job no: 514771
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Agriculture & Life Sciences
Department: Hampton Roads AREC
Location: Other - Virginia
Categories: Agriculture / Life Science, Research / Scientific
Virginia Tech is recruiting a full-time postdoctoral associate specializing in urban forest hydrology and stormwater modeling. The position is being funded jointly by the City of Virginia Beach and The Nature Conservancy, and will be a joint appointment in the Department of Biological Systems Engineering and the Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation at Virginia Tech. The postdoctoral researcher will advance stormwater models to assess the role of urban forests in flood reduction. Developed models will be largely based upon the Storm Water Management Model (SWMM) and will include refinements and potential integration with other model applications to better represent forest water storage and use in stormwater simulations.
- A PhD degree in agricultural or biological systems engineering, civil engineering, environmental engineering, hydrology, or a closely related discipline awarded no more than 4 years prior to the effective date of appointment.
- A thorough understanding of both forest and urban hydrology, including drivers of evapotranspiration, infiltration, and surface and groundwater flows.
- Expertise in hydrologic modeling software, particularly SWMM.
- Experience in geographic information systems (GIS), geospatial analysis and their use in development of hydrologic models.
- Strong programming in C and/or C++ or similar programming languages
- Experience in conducting field monitoring in support of hydrologic studies and calibration of
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the impact of urban development on watershed hydrology and water quality, and stormwater control measures.
- Programming in R, Python, and/or Fortran (recent vintage), remote sensing, and continuous hydrologic monitoring.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact David Sample at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend