Professor of Practice - Open Rank - MLSoC
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 516910
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: Architecture, Arts, and Design
Department: Building Construction
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus
Categories: Architecture / Construction / Planning
The Myers-Lawson School of Construction (MLSoC) is seeking applicants for multiple non-tenure-track faculty positions at the Assistant, Associate or Full Professor of Practice rank to begin Spring 2022 in Blacksburg, VA. These positions are nine-month, full-time appointments dedicated primarily to the teaching and service missions of the School. MLSoC is composed of degree programs in Building Construction(BC) and Construction Engineering and Management (CEM).
MLSoC is a joint venture between the College of Engineering and the College of Architecture and Urban Studies with undergraduate programs in Construction Engineering and Management (ABET-accredited) and Building Construction (ACCE-accredited). The successful candidate will be required to teach 3-4 courses per semester in the BC or CEM programs, develop meaningful relationships with industry, and provide service to the School and the broader AEC industry. This position requires occasional travel to attend outreach events, conferences and/or other professional meetings.
MLSoC is dedicated to inclusion, serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who will adopt and practice the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. We actively seek a broad spectrum of candidates to join our faculty in preparing the future leaders of the construction industry. MLSoC does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Prior to hire, all applicants must pass a criminal background check.
● A graduate or professional degree in construction or a closely related field, by the appointment start date.
● Established and extensive professional experience in construction or a related discipline.
● Expertise in operations, management, or pre-construction that complements BC’s current curriculum and/or in two or more of the following areas: design-build, construction means and methods, fundamentals of construction management, and/or construction company management.
• Certifications and/or licensure related to the applicant’s professional field (e.g., PMP, CCM, PE, RA).
• Teaching experience, preferably with a demonstrated record of effective teaching in higher education (e.g., through evidence of student evaluations of teaching).
• Demonstrated experience in the construction industry and its leadership.
• Engagement in academic program leadership and/or professional organizations.
• Demonstrated commitment to serving diverse communities and building inclusive cultures (e.g. through outreach, service, program development).
Applicants must apply online at jobs.vt.edu. Complete applications will include the following:
1) a cover page summarizing your experience, area of expertise, and teaching
2) resume/curriculum vitae;
3) maximum two-page teaching and service statement describing your approach to
develop and teach courses (in-person and remote), serve the profession, University,
and broader community;
4) one page personal statement of diversity philosophy describing your experiences and/or
commitments to facilitate diversity and inclusion;
5) a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. Inquiries concerning the position or application process should be directed to Roslyn Garrison, CAUS HR Division Director, email@example.com
Commensurate with experience and rank
Ongoing Review; Open Until Filled
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Position requires occasional travel to attend conferences and meetings.
About MLSoC, BC & CEM
About Principles of Community
Principles of Community
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Roslyn Garrison at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend