Postdoctoral Associate, AI Testbed
Job no: 516969
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Commonwealth Cyber Initiative
Location: Washington, D.C., Metro Area
Categories: Engineering, Research / Scientific
- This position is based in Northern Virginia and part of the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI), which is a $20M/year state investment with a hub in Northern Virginia anchored by Virginia Tech that connects education, research, and innovation programs at universities across the state in cybersecurity and related areas. This hub will develop and connect strategic research and innovation programs in cyber with a range of experiential learning and educational programs. The starting point for CCI’s research focus is at the intersection of CPS and wireless system security and AI/ML, seeking to develop major research programs to tackle security and privacy for connected infrastructure, smart cities, and the IoT.
- The successful applicant will work with researchers and graduate students from across the Commonwealth of VA to advance ML/AI research in cybersecurity. Additionally, this candidate will have the opportunity collaborate with The Sanghani Center (https://sanghani.cs.vt.edu) and the Hume Center for National Security and Technology (www.hume.vt.edu) which is currently operating a number of large-scale research programs in cybersecurity and related fields with industry and government partners as part of developing CCI.
- Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Develop workflows, container environments, and post processing capability that support researchers across the CCI network
- Develop training/educational programs to support the CCI network on expanding ML/AI expertise
- Support the execution of university sponsored programs by conducting research and development
- Author technical documents and publish peer-reviewed academic papers
- Provide mentorship to students and junior researchers working on programs
- Postdoctoral researchers are expected to lead and participate in research proposals for extramural funding.
- PhD in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or related fields. PhD awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Track record in publishing in high-impact peer-reviewed journals/conferences
• Advanced knowledge of tools and frameworks facilitating ML/AI research; examples include but are not limited to, Tensorflow, pytorch, and sci-kit learn
- An intermediate level of experience in code development in one or more of the following languages: python, R, C++
- An intermediate level of experience using a Linux operating system
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing research and/or development projects
- Good communication skills and preferably the ability to aid in supervising undergraduate and graduate students
- Proficient in building and deploying containers; examples include: Docker, LXC, podman
- Experience in configuring container orchestration frameworks such as, Kubernetes, Rancher, OpenShift
- DevOps experience configuring Linux hosts, including networking and storage
- Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
- Application development experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Alex Tuuri at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend