Business Support Specialist
Job no: 518458
Work type: Staff
Senior management: VP for Admin & Business Services
Department: VP-Enterprise Admin & Business Svcs
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Business / Accounting / Finance, Administrative / Clerical, Other
Reporting to the Business Operations Manager, the Business Support Specialist is primarily responsible for payroll and leave reporting for the Office of Emergency Management, Environmental Health and Safety, and the Virginia Tech Police Department. This is a highly detailed process due to the complexity of the emergency services personnel timekeeping system and the amount of overtime worked by sworn personnel. The position will also support the business and human resources functions for the Vice President for Enterprise Administrative and Business Services.
• Considerable experience providing administrative, human resources-related, and fiscal support to the operations in a complex office environment.
• Knowledge of payroll accounting concepts.
• Experience using current office software applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
• Proficient in gathering and entering data, developing documents, and generating reports.
• Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive written and oral information.
• Experience managing multiple priorities under pressure with a high degree of accuracy.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to provide customer service courteously and work effectively with a diverse group of people.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• A.S. or B.S. in accounting, business administration, or similar.
• Experience working in higher education or law enforcement setting; experience understanding and applying complex federal and state or university policies and procedures related to payroll and
leave for public safety employees.
• Working knowledge of university systems, including TimeClock Plus, Leave Reporting, Banner HR, PageUp, CashNet, Teams, and Enterprise System Reports.
• Strong organizational and proofreading skills.
• Notary Public in the state of Virginia.
Commensurate with experience
January 3, 2021
(Posting will remain active until the position is filled; preference will be given to submissions received prior to review date.).
- Must have a criminal background check
- Must undergo an extensive background check and credit history check, with satisfactory results.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend