Administrative Operations Coordinator - SPIA
Job no: 520188
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Architecture & Urban Studies
Department: School of Pub & Internat Affairs
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus
Categories: Administrative / Clerical
The Administrative Coordinator for Virginia Tech’s School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA) Programs – including the B.A. in Public and Urban Affairs (PUA) and Masters of Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) – is an integral part of the student support team in the school and is responsible for all procedural elements that contribute to converting qualified applicants to enrolled students.
This position has additional responsibility for coordinating and participating in admissions and recruitment events as needed. The Administrative Coordinator provides general administrative and operational support for faculty and leadership of SPIA and reports directly to the School Director. The position serves as liaison to other university offices and serves as a main contact for the office in responding to inquiries from faculty, staff, students, and visitors in a professional, courteous manner.
Additionally, the position serves as undergraduate and graduate coordinator and processes all student transactions; timetables; and maintenance of student and enrollments data and files. Duties include completing and filing standard university forms; human resources and payroll forms, and wage payroll; fixed assets and inventory, and ordering supplies; typing and filing correspondence; maintaining electronic calendars; administering travel arrangements; scheduling and coordinating special events; maintaining minutes of meetings; maintaining web site updates; providing guidance for wage staff; greeting guests and answering phones; and other general administrative duties.
● Bachelor's degree with demonstrated experience in customer service or equivalent related experience and training
● Demonstrated interest and experience in relationship building including all forms of communication and presentation with an emphasis on strong written and verbal skills
● Strong proficiency in using and learning multiple software programs simultaneously such as MS Office programs, and G-Suite programs.
● Experience in a diverse educational setting with exposure to admissions
● Established and superior problem-solving, time management and organizational skills
● Record of solutions oriented leadership with strong follow-up ability
● Ability to adapt to changing assignments and multiple priorities
● Ability to learn quickly and work in a sometimes hybrid environment
● Experience with learning management systems such as Canvas, Blackboard, etc.
● Knowledge and experience with oracle software (Banner); adobe creative suites (for marketing materials); Zoom and Webex
● Positive demeanor and strong work ethic
● Ability to work independently and interpret as well as apply university and/or departmental policies and procedures
Salary range of $45,000 to $48,000 - commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Roslyn Garrison at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend