Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 527846
Work type: Hourly Wage/Part-Time
Senior management: College of Science
Department: Biological Sciences
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
The IT Specialist assists with providing IT-related support for faculty, staff, and research students within the department of Biological Sciences. Responsibilities of the IT Specialist include, but are not limited to: setting up and deploying computers, repairing and upgrading computers, managing the department’s computer inventory, submitting software for approved use to the licensing office, poster printing, endpoint management, and assisting the Sr. IT Support Technician with a variety of other tasks as necessary.
• Experience installing, troubleshooting, and repairing a variety of both internal and external computer hardware components.
• Experience installing, using, and troubleshooting Windows and OS X operating systems.
• Experience installing, using, and troubleshooting software such as device drivers, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, Google Drive, and others.
• Experience in providing friendly and efficient consultations and training to end users.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work comfortably with all individuals in a diverse multicultural environment.
• Previous experience in an IT help desk role
• IT-related coursework, training, or certifications
• Experience installing, using, and troubleshooting Linux distributions
• Experience with designing websites using WordPress
Commensurate with experience within budget maximum
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dreama Price at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend