Teaching Faculty Positions - Instructors
Apply now Back to search results
Job no: 528300
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Science
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Instructional / Teaching Faculty
The Department of Mathematics at Virginia Tech seeks applications for teaching faculty positions at the rank of Instructor to begin in August 2024. The initial appointment will be for one year with the possibility of continuation dependent upon performance and availability of funding. Duties will include teaching and grading for undergraduate courses in mathematics and providing departmental service, such as student mentoring. Exceptionally qualified candidates may be considered for Visiting Assistant Professor positions and/or for initial appointments of longer than one year.
The successful candidate will have:
- For Instructor positions, a Master’s degree in Mathematics, or a related discipline, by date of hire, with a minimum of 18 semester hours of graduate courses in mathematics.
- For Visiting Assistant Professor positions, a Ph.D. in Mathematics, or a related discipline, by date of hire.
- Experience teaching college-level mathematics courses.
- Effective communication skills.
- Willingness to learn basic technology (e.g., Canvas) common to Virginia Tech courses.
- Experience teaching college-level courses as the primary instructor.
- Documented outstanding effectiveness teaching in a curriculum, like that offered by Virginia Tech Mathematics Department, designed to serve a large, diverse group of university students in engineering and the sciences.
- Potential to teach upper division undergraduate courses.
- Potential to contribute to curriculum development.
- For some positions, familiarity with teaching-related technology useful for online/distance learning.
- For some positions, successful experience teaching courses in a large-lecture format.
Commensurate with experience
An online application is required. To apply, please visit www.jobs.vt.edu, select "Apply Now," and search by posting number 528300. Please include a cover letter, a CV, a list of references, and a teaching statement as part of the online application. Each applicant should follow the instructions in the online application system to request that at least three references submit letters of recommendation.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Questions about the search may be addressed to Sarah McDearis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sarah McDearis at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend