Research Assistant Professor, Research Associate Professor, or Research Professor
Job no: 510892
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Hume Center
Location: Blacksburg Area
Categories: Information Systems / Technology, Research / Scientific
The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is a University level research center that reports to the Vice President of Research and Innovation. Its mission is to cultivate the next generation of national security leaders by developing and executing curricular, extracurricular, and research opportunities to engage students. Renown academic and research faculty from DOD, IC and industry have converged with guidance from an illustrious Board of Advisors constituted by former Directors of NRO and NGA, S&T heads from CIA and NSA, NCTC, etc. One of the fastest growing research centers at VT, sponsors and collaborators benefit from both highly experienced student talent and senior technical leadership that address some of our nation’s greatest security challenges. The Hume team conducts research contracts for the IC, DoD, DHS and Industry. Execution of scope, schedule and cost is complimented by a team of project and program managers. Transition of high impact technology deliverables is effected directly by staff personnel, through industry partnerships and/or numerous individual startups. Restricted research is conducted at state of art facilities in Arlington and a new 45,000 sf building in beautiful Blacksburg.
Motivated applicants are sought to join as Research Assistant Professor, Research Associate Professor, or Research Professor to support rapid growth in our body of programs in resilient C4ISR Missions, Signals Intelligence & Cyber Operations and Autonomy and Orchestration. Rank will be determined based upon experience and credentials. The winning candidates can expect highly competitive salary and benefits in a university setting. This position serves as a research staff member of the Hume Center, within one of its three research laboratories: Aerospace Systems Laboratory, Information Systems Laboratory, or Electronic Systems Laboratory. These labs host a range of dynamic research projects and the successful applicant will have the ability to contribute to these programs, lead the development of new programs, and mentor students engaged in these programs.
-Given the nature of the research conducted and requirement from the federal sponsor, candidates must be a U.S. Citizen and the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- An earned Doctorate degree in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Science, Physics, or related discipline;
- Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience;
- Scholarship and funding credentials that support the rank of either research assistant professor, research associate professor, or research professor;
- Demonstrated mastery of ones’ field of study through publication of relevant research in peer-reviewed academic venues appropriate to the discipline;
- Proficiency with the tools germane to field of research; and
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing upon research projects
- Active security clearance at the TS/SCI level;
- Experience writing grant and contract proposals;
- Experience serving as principal investigator on research grants and contracts;
- Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population; and
- Experience conducting research programs supporting defense and intelligence sponsors
Salary Information Depending on experience
The review of applications will begin on September 10, 2019, however all applications will be reviewed until the posting is closed.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend