Research Assistant Professor
Job no: 512367
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Commonwealth Cyber Initiative
Location: Greater Washington, D.C., Metro Area
Categories: Research / Scientific
Virginia Tech welcomes applications and nominations for a research faculty position for the ranks of Research Assistant Professor, Research Associate Professor, or Research Professor in 5G cellular communications and security. The successful candidate(s) will serve as a key contributor to the state-wide Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI). Virginia is uniquely positioned to demonstrate global leadership in secure cyber physical systems (CPS), including underlying cybersecurity technologies. The rank will be determined based on the applicant’s credentials and experience. The Commonwealth’s strengths include an unrivaled density of IT talent, industry, and venture capital, creating a highly fertile environment for innovation and tech-based economic growth. To support the CCI research efforts, this position will provide science and engineering support in the development of innovative 5G network architectures and testbed experiments in collaboration with academic, commercial and government researchers using the CCI 5G security testbed.
The Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI) is a state-funded $20M/year effort calling on higher education institutions and industry to build an ecosystem of cyber-related research, education, and engagement in Virginia.
CCI will create a Commonwealth-wide ecosystem of innovation excellence in CPS with an emphasis on trust and security. CCI will ensure Virginia is recognized as a global leader in secure CPS and in the digital economy more broadly for decades to come by supporting world-class research at the intersection of data, autonomy, and security; promoting technology commercialization and entrepreneurship; and preparing future generations of innovators and research leaders. CCI will build on Virginia’s strong base of research excellence, innovative and diverse higher education system, vibrant ecosystem of venture capital investment and high-growth firms, and unparalleled density of cybersecurity talent.
CCI must address two challenges: today’s workforce gap and tomorrow’s economy. They are different facets of the same problem and opportunity. To focus only on today’s workforce challenge is to miss an opportunity to diversify the economy. Today’s assessment is a look in the rear-view mirror. Conversely, to focus only on the future economy is to ignore the fact that the basis for that economy is threatened by the workforce gap.
For a detailed description of CCI’s vision and plan for implementation, see the blueprint:
The 5G research faculty member will possess a thorough understanding of cellular system design and will have a strong publication record in one or more specific research focus areas in cellular communication and security. A particular background in design and implementation of virtualized software and hardware of 5G core and RAN systems is highly desired. The research faculty member will participate in and demonstrate excellent capabilities in electrical engineering subjects such as RF, digital, and analog design. This position requires that the faculty member maintain a strong active 5G security research program, preferably in collaboration with cellular security researchers from Virginia Tech and from other academic institutions in the CCI consortium. The faculty member is expected to network and write proposals and whitepapers to solicit funding to support their ongoing 5G research portfolio, preferably in collaboration with other CCI researchers. As a critical member of the research team, this position may be expected to contribute to sponsored research programs as either Principal Investigator (PI) or Co-Principal Investigator. This position will report to the Director and Research Professor, Intelligent Systems Laboratory.
To provide technical initiative in all phases of product development for RF systems, the candidate will perform the following functions:
• Devise initial concepts for new laboratory program efforts
• Assume significant project responsibility and carry it through various stages of development per established schedule as required
• Work with program schedulers to ensure that lab experiments are being executed efficiently
• Ensure that all documentation is accomplished and in proper form
• Assist management in developing proposals for new technical programs which will lead to new or improved products
• Maintains a high level of technical competence and awareness of state-of-the-art technology
The ideal candidate for the research faculty role will excel in collaborative team environments, possess a strong mix of experimental and analytical skills, and the ability to communicate complex technical ideas.
• A PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or related field
• Possessing knowledge of 4G and 5G cellular networks
• Possessing strong skills in software and hardware implantations of 5G cellular systems in a research environment
• Demonstrated problem-solving and lab debugging skills
• Hands-on experience with Linux or similar operating systems utilized in cellular network and cloud virtualization (e.g. OpenStack, Akraino)
• Familiarity with using management and orchestration software for modern 5G systems (e.g. Open Source MANO, ONAP)
• Possessing knowledge of cellular and RF testing equipment for physical-layer and Layer 2/3 lab experiments
• Possessing familiarity with the fundamentals of radio propagation and antennas
•Capable of serving as supervisor and instruct undergraduate, graduate students and junior researchers using the 5G testbed
• Good communication skills and experience giving professional presentations at academic conferences and to potential sponsors
• Being knowledgeable and capable of complying with ITAR regulations
• Wireless communications knowledge, such as: OFDM, LTE, 802.11, Bluetooth, ZigBee
• Experience with AI and ML methods for research and operation of mobile radio systems and cellular core network systems
• Experience with AI and ML GPU hardware and software tools
• Experience in working in one or more startup companies
Commensurate with experience and credentials.
January 6, 2020 Review of applications will continue until the posting is closed.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend